What do you know?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by TIMBONE, Dec 14, 2004.

?

Do you know who ERIC DELANEY is?

1. Yes

11 vote(s)
    26.2%
  2. No

31 vote(s)
    73.8%
  1. TIMBONE

TIMBONE Active Member

Hello fellow tMPers. I would really appreciate a response to this thread. Firstly, do you know who ERIC DELANEY is, (answer poll). If you do, can you tell me in a few words what you know.

2. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

what poll? ;-)
    Edit: poll added :)

my answer is no by the way... :p
    Edit: I know who he is now... see post below

:lol:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2004
  3. dyl

dyl Active Member

4. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

oh, look what google found...

Eric Delaney was born in London in 1924, and played to his first live audience at the age of six. In his early teens he was acclaimed as a "Drum Genius" taking command of the Royal Kiltie Junior Band and the Hughie Green Roadshow. By the time he was 16, he was voted Britain's Best Young Swing Drummer, and in 1941 at the age of 17, Eric joined George Shearing of the famous Ambrose Octet touring the variety theatres of that time.

From 1947 to 1954 Eric provided the rhythmic impulse for the Great Geraldo Orchestra, not only was he touring the country and playing in such venues as The Royal Festival Hall and The Royal Albert Hall but also provided the unmistakable sound for the session work and film soundtracks such as "Dance Hall", "Charlie's Aunt", "The Longest Day" etc.

In 1954 The Eric Delaney Orchestra was formed consisting of 5 trumpets, 3 tenors and 1 baritone saxophones, double bass and of course Eric on drums.

By 1955 The Eric Delaney Band was established and he was at the climax of his career. Eric was voted No.1 by the public in the musical media polls 8 times over, with such titles as Drummer of the Year, Musician of the Year and Band of the Year and various awards too abundant to mention.

The following year, Eric was commanded by the Royal Family to perform at the Royal Variety Performance. He subsequently appeared on two more occasions. Following the 1st Royal Performance he went on a demanding sequence of world tours. Meanwhile his recording career had taken off and he recorded his first hit record Oranges and Lemons for which he was awarded a Silver Record. He recorded 19 albums and 18 singles. Eric is now 76 and still pulling large crowds, and was recently given the 'Freedom of the City of London' award. He tours the UK during the summer months and in winter travels to the warmer climate of the Costa Blanca where he wows the holidaymakers and residents with his amazing expertise and energy. He has recently played to packed houses at two concerts near to Benidorm.
    The Big Bands Database thanks Mr. Frederick Carty for this information Eric Delaney

5. ju33les

ju33les Member

Ahhh
    But I think the question means....do you know who he is....without looking him up on Google!
    ;) :p

And yes...I do!

6. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

Yes, I had heard of him before the googlefest.

7. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

I knew he was a Big Band percussionist of the 1950's, and Timbone had told me that he was still playing, but I didn't know all the details that the Google search came up with.

By the way, if Eric was born in 1924, he must be older than 76 now..

8. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Never heard of him.

Congratulations to Eric Delaney for being able to walk his sheep over Tower Bridge, and wear a sword in the square mile without it being an offensive weapon.

Thanks for belittling such a prestigious honour to such a miniscule thing as an award.

9. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Mention of Geraldo reminds me that they also numbered another top percussionist in their ranks - the great James Blades (famous amongst other things for his collaboration with Benjamin Britten, the "V for Victory" broadcast over the BBC, and for making the sound for Rank to accompany Bombardier Wells striking that massive papier mache gong :shock: ).

10. ScrapingtheBottom

Is there a difference? Many people have won awards that are far from miniscule.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    tMPers
    ERIC DELANEY
    size
    color
    thread
  12. uncle eric

uncle eric Member

dear mr bone,
    i, like you, often furrow my brow at the rubbish these people come out with. never heard of some long gone skin basher, and me and ada were a great fan of the dance bands you know. it's where we met.
    obviously you mean the eric delaney, stats provided below:

name: eric delaney
    d.o.b. 26/04/48
    position: right half
    career stats:
    scunthorpe united 0 app 0gls
    aldershot town 1(53) app 0 gls
    prescott cables: 88 app 2 gls
    chester-le-street town: 149 app 1 goal

born the son of a housewife and go-go dancer, the young eric delaney offered to go down the pit at a young age to escape football. his seventeen brothers had all been forced down the playing fields, and he had seen what the desperate proffession had done to them. accidents such as perm strains and broken finger nails were rife in those days, before the reform of the football association rule book, undertaken in the last few years, outlawed contact of any sort, except manly stares and spitting. his many coaches noted his 'inability to trap, run, dribble, shoot, tackle or pass. despite these slight hinderences he was famed for 'being able to kcik anyone within ten yards of him into row z'. despite this he was surprisingly rejected by leeds, and his travels took him to scunthorpe.

he signed on as assistant bathtester and junior kit man, and within ten years had made the bench of that famous club. in the famous game of 68 (that being the attendance) against hartlepools united he nearly came on. but didn't. before the football world could catch its breath, delaney had moved to aldershot where he warmed the bench on no less than 88 times (no other club at that time had a full time bench warmer for winter midweek matches) and made his league debut that very same unmentioned year in the great promotion push made by someone else at that time. a local reporter noted 'delaney came on for the last 3 seconds and made no impact, not even troubling to touch the ball' that kind of ability served him well in his next move.....

the football hotbed of prescott had never seen publicity. neither did it when a grissly faced pro drifted into town to become the teams best ever player. and neither did it when delaney signed. his 88 appearences (mostly made during the lancashire player famine of the mid seventies) coincideded with the greatest period of mediocrity in the clubs history, culminating in 1-1 draw against another team one saturday.

times moved on and delaney looked for one last big move before his career ended. it never came, so he moved to the famous chester-le-street, famed worldwide for being the only club i could think of with ------those things between their name. 149 forgettable appearances later, including, err...hold on its here somewhere....

and then his career was finished, some say prematurely, because he wasn't very good. nasty knee injuries they say finish careers, but he didn't have one.

delaney did some scouting, but couldn't manage the knots, and got a bad chest when he stayed in tents, so turned to, as so many ex-footballers do, the licensing trade, where he lives and works as a drunk.

(taken from: greatest footballers ov us generation, tha nus. by ernest freckleend)

tsk tsk readers, please try to get your facts right before replying to posts. on behalf of the above mr bone, let me apologise.

regards

uncle eric

13. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Erm, ... he was the first English drummer/percussionist to have hit records such as 'Manhattan Spiritual', 'Oranges and Lemons' and 'Big Noise From Winetka' (and Tim hasn't arranged any of them! ;) ).

14. ScrapingtheBottom

You, sir, are a leg-end.

15. TIMBONE

TIMBONE Active Member

I also have seen James Blades. He visited Weston-super-Mare Grammar School for Boys in 1963, (I was in the 1st year, or year 7 as it is now known). Part of his demonstration was to hit his gong, having informed us that this was the very same one that we heard at the Gaumont Cinema on Saturday afternoon.

As a drummer and percussionist, (having begun this when I shook my bells for my Dad's Christmas concert in 1955!), it was very inspiring to see James Blades, as it was when I first saw ERIC DELANEY!!! which was also in 1963, with his band at the Winter Gardens.

16. TIMBONE

TIMBONE Active Member

:) Yes, I knew all about Eric Delaney, I just wanted to know if anyone else did! Of course, I will be seeing him soon when I go to Benidorm in January.

17. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

That must have been around the same time that my sister and I assisted him when he visited Windsor. Interestingly enough, my father referred to the incident when he met Jimmy Blades many years later, and when told about it, he remembered it quite clearly, volunteering the fact that we were brother & sister and helped him demonstrate on the side drum (maybe that's where my son gets his interest in percussion from!) - he was definitely a real gentleman ;)

18. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... I remember Jimmy Blades being a good laugh as well ... met him when he came to our college in 1979 examining for percussion diplomas. Also remember him being a regular on telly duting the '70s. Saddened to know he passed away a few years back.

19. TIMBONE

TIMBONE Active Member

You were lucky Peter! I vividly remember when Jimmy looked for a volunteer to help him on the side drum, ("me me me"), but to no avail, he chose someone else. I was so disappointed! As a 12 year old drummer, I really wanted to demonstrate my skills to this important man who hit the gong for the RANK FILM ORGANISATION!

20. TIMBONE

TIMBONE Active Member

Go to the "Professional, Commercial & Trade Stand Advertisements"

p.s. He has now "brassneck"

21. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

;) ... I hope you have success with them!

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    tMPers
    ERIC DELANEY
    size
    color
    thread