What do you fancy for 2008 Lower Section Finals to play as your test piece

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by ian perks, Mar 17, 2008.

1. HBB

HBB Active Member

And I think you'll find that I didn't say they hadn't. I merely said that I thought that On Alderly Edge was far too hard for the 1st section, and personally think that even the Essence of Time is too hard for the 1st section - granted there are some very good 1st section bands who will play it very well.

2. id love to see john gollands sounds get an airing! royal parks maybe somewhere?
  3. no2taz

no2taz Member

None taken >>> Unfortunatley i was a little guted that it was the 1st section Area test as at the time Newbridge were in the 2nd section and i would have loved to play it...
  4. no2taz

no2taz Member

Having Played Prague when it was the area test in the championship section on The end chair.. I think your second thought i prefer LOL ...
  5. Robin Norman

Robin Norman Member

For the 1st Section I think that there should be a sterner test for the bands and a Championship Section piece should be used. After all, this is one step from the Championship Section.

I'd like to see Blitz, Brass Metamorphosis (Curnow) or Chivalry.
  6. Matt Lawson

Matt Lawson Member

1st Section - Whitsun Wakes
    2nd Section - Paganini Variations
    3rd Section - Tam O' Shanter's Ride
    4th Section - Narnia Suite
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2008

AEHOWGATE Member

Chivalry would be good! also Cambridge Variations or Freedom!

AEHOWGATE Member

Narnia is a great choice!! Tom o' Shinty has been used a few yrs ago!
  9. 3rd Section:

I'd love to do Salford Sinfonietta, the slow movement is particularly nice. We played it at the Folkstone contest five years ago and did well. It was used in the 2nd section areas in 1994 I believe, but hey... it's the finals.
  10. RobBari

RobBari Member

after many years of not playing this was the first piece i played back in championship section, what a shock!! I reallt don't now why i even suggested it.
  11. zak

zak Member

2nd section--- Paganini variations????????????????? :confused:
  12. smaca

smaca Member

Glad someone else was surprised as well as me on this choice for 2nd Section.Played this at the first Scottish Open, and still think today that only the very best bands can cope with this piece.(upteen cornet sectionals on the fanfare sections!)
  13. Matt Lawson

Matt Lawson Member

Well - it keeps them on their toes.

Serves them right for qualifying for the nationals ;)

Perhaps the top two were slightly tongue in cheek.
  14. JR

JR Member

...there's nowt like ambition I suppose

...Paganini???? - by whom? new piece?