What did you forget?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by jackocorn, Oct 19, 2011.

1. jackocorn

jackocorn Member

I recently helped out at an Orchestral job.

My friend said he'd lend me a Trumpet (as my own is rubbish).

On arriving I quickly found that I'd forgotten:

a. A mouthpiece for said Trumpet. In my defense I was kind of expecting one to be there. Fortunately I had taken my Cornet with me (glasses, valve oil, etc) so used mt DW 3B with paper wrapped around it;

b. A music stand (don't the drummers normally bring those too). Again, fortunately my friend had a spare;

c. Best of all, I went to put on my bow-tie only to find I'd picked up by 9 year old son's - it was a few inches too small around the neck. Once again, fortunately, there was sticky tape available and my friend stuck it to my neck.

I've seen fellow bandsmen forget music, uniform, mutes and even instruments - but not all at once.

What kit failures have you experienced?
  2. I recently played at my first contest for 27 years, an entertainment contest at Porthcawl. I got on the stage, sat down, everything was fine - until I looked at my music. That's funny, I thought, the notes look really fuzzy under these stage lights. That's when I realised I wasn't wearing my glasses, and they were in my cornet case in the dressing room. By these time the MD had come on, and was raising his baton to start...

Luckily we had been through the pieces so many times I just about got away with it, but it was a scary moment and on another day with smaller print in the music I wouldn't have stood a chance.

I now double and triple check that I have my glasses before going near a stage...
  3. ringa

ringa Member

Great Grimsby entertainment contest, went to get dressed............. no white shirt, Sunday afternoon, no shops open.................. luckily Colin Dixon came to the rescue with a spare one:oops:
  4. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

My trousers! Had to go onto the contest stage with jacket, tie etc. and jeans. That wasn't so bad, but people reminding me every concert, contest and park job for the next 10 years is!
  5. SteveT

SteveT Member

I did a contest at Leicester, where one of my BBb Bass players turned up without an instrument! He wasn't pleased when I said it would probably make the band sound better! - Well i was somewhat displeased!
  6. euph77

euph77 Member

I did walk on stage once without my mouthpiece... luckily it was only a concert and I had left it in my case rather than at home.
  7. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I forgot to go on stage once.

We were at a contest where the band on stage was limited to so many players, but between pieces you could move players in and out. So after sitting out a piece (euphonium soloist in our band did a cracking job), I forgot to go back on stage. Luckily it were only 2nd baritone so nobody noticed.
  8. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

My very first carol service at school, I opened my bass case to discover a "no mouthpiece situation". Rather than volunteer this info to my boss, I quietly left the gig and went home, returning over an hour later with the mouthpiece. Only problem was, the concert started a half hour before I got back and I hadn't told the boss what I was doing. Apparently, they'd searched the church looking for a body...
  9. nethers

nethers Active Member

As a kid (probably 8 ), turned up to a contest in bright purple socks! Luckily the condutor had a spare pair of blacks in his car boot.

Also I 'forgot' to count once, was playing The Plantagenet's at Butlins and parped in on the opening fanfare, full-bore FF a perfect beat early (this is about 2nd bar of the piece!). It didn't get mentioned in the remarks and we still came 2nd, so I choose to think that it was a really good note. Practically burst in to flames under the conductor's glare! He was well known for saying "I'm not the slimmest man, but over short distances, I move very fast!".
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  10. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

I forgot about a concert once... One Saturday I was sitting watching tele when the MD phoned to ask where I was - this was 5 minutes before they were due to go on stage! I thought the concert was the next night...! :oops: Another time No 1 son forgot his sop concert pad for a job miles from home and had to play from memory - never heard him play so good...! Don't think he missed a note! :biggrin:
  11. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

I forgot a 2nd trombone player once.

It was in the pre-mobile phone days so he couldn't call me to ask where I was, about half-way through the concert I remebered that I should have picked him up.

oops, sorry Paul
  12. jackocorn

jackocorn Member

Just remembered:

d. Trumpet stand (Chamber music so not required for two pieces). Not actually forgotten - just couldn't find it. Discovered it today in my own Trumpet case.
  13. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

A few years ago I was booked for a New years eve gig on sousaphone with Sheps banjo boys to play a very short spot at Chester railway station. A train load of New years revellers got off their train to be briefly entertained by a quartet on the platform before getting back on the train for their onward journey.
    I was horrified to realise minutes before playing that I'd left my mouthpiece and shank behind! I had to mime the whole performance while the guitarist turned his bass up to full.
    The best laugh was this drunken woman coming up to tell me how good I sounded and could she have a blow!!??
    Got paid £160 for not playing a note!

Good work if you can get it :p
  14. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Many years ago when I ran a 3 piece Oompah Band, me (Sousa/frontman) and the the drummer turned up at the the venue in Knowlsley near Liverpool, to find 300 folk all in Bavarian dress wai
    ting for a real "Knees up" night. The keyboard /vocalist was late. We waited and waited, but he didn't show. It suddenly dawned on me that I'd foregotten to book him for the gig. Fortunately we hadn't unloaded the gear from the tranny. The audience were really merry and getting in the mood. The drummer whispered to me "What are we going to do". I said "Just follow me". We sauntered out to the car park, leapt in the van and bombed it down the East Lancs Road towards home, stopping at a pub for a pint on the outskirts of Manchester. We felt so guilty and the Agent was furious when he rang me the following day. I squirmed out from under, telling him that it was the keyboard player who failed to put the gig in his diary ~ "He who lies when cannot play, lives to gig another day"!!
    The only time in 33 years as a Pro that I had such a catastrophic night !
    I do recall though, when Steve Butler suffered a brief but deathly attack of amnesia !! (Elephants never forget Steve ~ Hope you are doing ok Mate).

Mr Wilx
  15. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Sorry folks, pressed the pesky button twice !
  16. still learnin

still learnin Member

Arrived at a cold church to do a Christmas concert and remembered that my band jacket was still in its cover hanging on a door at home complete with bow tie and straight tie in the inside pockets. It was quite noticeable with me in the number one spot, nobody in a "less public" position volunteered their jacket because it was so cold so I froze during the first half and borrowed a casual jacket to wear in the second half. Was never allowed to forget the occasion.
  17. davidsait

davidsait Member

University of Warwick were on a tour of the Isle of Man and had planned a concert at the summit of the highest peak on the island. The tourist spot, cafe and 'bandstand' at the top were reachable only by a small train. Bandsmen, instruments and percussion were loaded into a specially supplied trailer, and we enjoyed the journey to the top.
    Despite visiting in July, we had been experiencing some of the worst possible weather. It did manage to stay dry for the occasion, although the wind was somewhat challenging. Once at the top we were therefore understandably annoyed to find we'd left the bag of pegs at the bottom of the mountain. The sop was the only person with pegs in their case, but he had enough in there to ensure each stand had at least one.
    We were further dismayed to find that we had forgotten to bring the box containing all the cymbals for the kit. Our performance was made possible by recruiting two band supporters to stand and hold orchestral clash cymbals in the appropriate positions so that the kit player could bash them with a stick at the right moment.
  18. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

Aha, took me a while to work out that one Ian, something about sunshine and headgear?
    Doin just fine mate, miss our times together though - happy days....
  19. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Not a 'forgotten experience', but I was playing in a concert when my 'pager' went off. Had to just get up and go, couldn't even stay to the end of the piece. The Band understood, but I'm not sure the audience did.
  20. simonpohare

simonpohare Member

I forgot about a school concert about 10 years ago(never before or since!) My head of dept was attending the concert and stepped-in to conduct for me.
    He phoned when the concert was over, happy to hear my voice as he thought I'd put my car in the hedge on the way. Still can't believe it happened.
    In my defence...eh, there was no defence!