What did/does your conductor play?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by stevetrom, Nov 4, 2005.

?

What did/does your conductor play?

1. Soprano

10 vote(s)
    6.3%
  2. Cornet

50 vote(s)
    31.4%
  3. Horn

12 vote(s)
    7.5%
  4. Baritone

4 vote(s)
    2.5%
  5. Euphonium

12 vote(s)
    7.5%
  6. Trombone

37 vote(s)
    23.3%
  7. Bass

27 vote(s)
    17.0%
  8. Percussion

6 vote(s)
    3.8%
  9. Non Brass Player

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  1. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

In another thread it was mentioned that most conductors are ex0principal cornets, so what did/does your conductor play?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    QUOTE=Shaggy
    Nope.
    stick
    scuse pun
    cornet player
  3. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Our former conductor played euphonium and I think that will be right up there on the poll when enough numbers get it.

4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

It's a pity really that we aren't able to vote for more than one, as several of us play in various groups and would have different answers accordingly.

I've voted for cornet, as that is what Ken, the Hadleigh bandmaster plays - or rather, used to, as when he's played for carolling etc recently he usually takes a baritone! Andrew of the Wind Ensemble is a trombonist and the conductor of my other occasional group used to play euphonium.

There are a few percussionist/conductors around, notably Michael Garasi of the Brass Band of Central Florida - not forgetting Sir Simon Rattle, of course ;)

5. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Our Conductor SUPER DAVID HUTCHINSON used to play Soprano for Yorkshire Building Society , Heart OF England(Jones &Crossland),&Desford.

He recently played a Solo at our Concert in Burton Town Hall in October'Solitare' and for someone who is just the other side of 55 he is still one of the best, after the well known names in curent Top Bands:clap: .
    Audience were just spell bound by the Super tone and sound he as, it was a pleasure to play in the band as he played the solo, it was hard not to listen to his wonderful sound that came out,a few of us come almost unstuck on been fixed on such a very very fine player.
    Our Soprano player as said if i was as half as good as DAVE i would be well proud of myself;Our Sop player is a good lad and we know he would be hard to replace, he as come on 1000% since Dave as been with our band in fact ALL of us have.
    We just need a bit of luck on the contest stage a 1st Prize would be nice, but so far we have played at Nationals in 2003(8th off Number 1 Draw) after coming 3rd at Midland Area and 3rd at Butlins Mineworkers Contest in same year:biggrin:

6. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

I confess - I'm an ex principal cornet player! (But also flugel, sop and occasionally horn) Having conducted Crystal Palace, Epsom and Ewell Silver, Croydon and Fulham as well as guest conducting for the likes of Becontree and Yiewsley and West Drayton, as well as being the brass band tutor for the Workers' Music Association Summer School for all but one of the past seven years, I don't think it hindered me that much... :)

First and foremost, however, I'm a trumpeter.....

;)

7. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

I have played under three different conductor in our band, and they all were or still are trombone players!

Our current conductor Ivan Meylemans plays principal trombone with the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra of Amsterdam. I heard him play as a soloist a couple of times, and he's jst amazing (if you want to check it out, he's on the EBBC 2002 Highlights CD together with YBS ;) )

8. brass journo

brass journo Member

our MD, Kevin Wadsworth, was one of the finest horn players in the business and probably still puts most to shame!!!

9. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

Our MD Ray Farr was and possibly still is one of the finest Flugel players in the country.

10. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

What does your conductor play?

... the fool mostly...

11. persins

persins Member

Dave Barringer is conducting us atm and I believe that he was a very useful Bass player. Not actually heard him play but he certainly knows what he's talking about, that's for sure.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    QUOTE=Shaggy
    Nope.
    stick
    scuse pun
    cornet player
  13. BeatTheSheep

BeatTheSheep Member

YBS? don't remember that. When was that? Kevin Donaldson, Giles Rimmer, Peter Roberts, Alan Hobbins. Possibly before Baldrick (i.e. Kevin Donaldson above). Would love to know

14. Shaggy

Shaggy New Member

Oh lordy!!

....you expect a serious, printable answer from me on this subject??!!

15. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

Our MD at Flixton, Kevin Gibbs, is an outstanding trombone player. He has played in a number of Championship section bands, and played 1st trombone with Faireys at this year's North West Area, British Open and National Championship contests.

Looking at the poll, it seems that there are more trombone playing conductors around than people think.

16. matti_raz

matti_raz Member

how very clever and true of most Will!!!!:rolleyes:

17. matti_raz

matti_raz Member

hear, hear to both of them points!;)

18. lottie4744

lottie4744 Member

My conductor at Wigan Youth is a Bass Trom player and a percussionist and Neil, conductor at Rainford is a Trombone player. : )

19. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

ermmmm...... do you know, i don't know :confused: Dave played horn on the march at the carnival last year, so I'd presume he was a horn player :tongue: and Gary who conducts if Dave is poorly is our principal euphonomonist :D

20. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Nick Shep at Blackburn and Darwen is a cornet player.

I think that most of the conductors I've played under are, or were cornet players.... apart from one definate euphonium player under the name of Denzil Stephens!.. and my first MD was, still is, a Bb bass player!

:)

21. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

That must be why our band and others are short of em!

22. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

Both of our conductors - colin and duncan are both bass players, my best friend is a conductor who is also a bass player and I'm sure the now ex-conductor of grangemoor I read this week is a bass player too.