What country are you from?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Despot, Aug 4, 2003.

What country are you from?

1. England

2. Scotland

3. Wales

4. Ireland

5. USA

6. Canada

0 vote(s)
  7. Australia

8. New Zealand

0 vote(s)
  9. Other (Europe)

10. Other (World)

1. Despot

Despot Member

Hi All,

A similar question was asked a while back but it seemed to assume everyone on this list is English! So for an international audience, what country are you from? (Sorry if you're classed as "other", I couldn't list every country! :D )
  2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I know some of us may be a little way out, but I don't expect many would class ourselves as being from another world - except, of course, the bass trombonists here (see Bagpuss's posting) :!: :wink: :lol:
  3. dyl

dyl Active Member

Cymru am byth! ;)
  4. Bluebottle

Bluebottle Member

Iechyd da! :guiness

Kernow bys vyken! :bounce
  5. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

I didn't think we were allowed to be English these days??!

On the last national census there was Scottish, Welsh, Irish, Afro-Caribbean etc . . and for the vast mojority of us in this country what could we choose . . . British. (no space for Englishness there!) :shock: :evil:
  6. HBB

HBB Active Member

I was with a mate playing a drinking game, naming as many countries beginning with each letter,

when i said England for E he goes: "but that's not a country".

But I think it is .... we have a flag, queen, parliament, etc.

What do you think?
  7. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

We don't have a separate parliament! Thought the thrones got amalgamated in Queen Anne's time, but might be wrong.
  8. HBB

HBB Active Member

Sorry, i don't really care about politics ...
  9. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

:roll: The youth of today :roll:
  10. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

of course england's a country! the census was asking for nationality, of which england isn't.
  11. LU-Brasser

LU-Brasser Member

I miss Switzerland on this vote :!: :!: :(
  12. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Oxford - that's not part of the real world, is it?

13. Bluebottle

Bluebottle Member

What is England if not a country?! :? separate from who? wales & scotland have their own, so who else can it be separate from?!
    am confoozed! :? :)

p.s. Scotland & England crowns joined with James I (VI of Scotland) and Edward I nicked Wales off the Llewelyns earlier! :roll: :oops:
  14. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

I thought that the 2 crowns remained technically separate just with the same monarch, until an act of parliament in Anne's reign, but is 7 years since I did A Level History. Have we got any Historians who can put things right?
  15. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

yep im difinatley from other world!
  16. Fishsta

Fishsta Active Member

I'm sure that England is a country.

When the French send letters over here, they refer to us as Angleterre, and not Grande-Bretagne (Check spelling). Equally, Scotland is Ecosse and I can't remember what Wales and Ireland are.

Remember when we compete in World Cups, we have separate teams for England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland. You represent your country.
  17. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Wales is Pays de Galles, and from what I remember from the Eurovision results being read out, Ireland is Irelande. :lol:
  18. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Yeh and I was annpoying and wrote ENGLISH. :D , I may be a British Citizen but I was born in England which makes me English!

Mind you we'll probably all be forced to put "European" soon...
  19. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

OT : Anyone put any funny religions in?, perhaps on the next census all us banders should put "Brass Player" then we could become a religion and have the pub as our place of worship! (apologies to all percussionists on here, I couldn't think of a better term since Bandsman could be seen as sexist :roll: )

(Hey they did it with Vulcan!)
  20. onedrummeruk

onedrummeruk Member

Erm....... why isn't drummerland on the list???????