What chord would you use?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by BrianT, Jan 14, 2007.

1. BrianT

BrianT Member

[​IMG]
    I've got this chord progression but I can't find a satisfactory chord to go in the gap marked "?". What would you use, and why? (Not D7 or any of its friend please, sounds too obvious).

Attached Files:

2. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

F Major 1st inversion works pretty well, or even staying on the Bb2 for the whole bar?! Whatever it is you are wting, sounds very nice from what i can gather from this!

3. oddbod

oddbod Member

Depending on context (I've got this as bars 5 to 8 of a 16 Bar phrase...who knows)

Attached Files:

4. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

B6 or A6 both sound pleasant (on an unamplified electric guitar - it is quite late!)

5. jmh3412

jmh3412 Member

I'd go for an E flat major 7th chord - it resolves the previous suspension, and adds richness. Passing notes up to the Root of the G minor chord also makes sense. Correct voicing also makes a big difference as to tehe effectiveness of the chord - just how close together do you want the dischordant intervals etc?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2007
  6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I would plump for the standard A9sus4 chord leading to Gm7,Bb#7, Csus4 and C maj to maintain the feel of the 1st bar.

7. BrianT

BrianT Member

Thanks for burning the midnight oil to answer my question guys!

I think I've been adding 2 to my chords for so long now it doesn't sound like a suspension any more. In fact as I've got older, the idea of what's dissonant has become more extreme. In my teenage years I constructed the most dissonant chord I could - which was a six note chord containing a C major triad and F# major triad simultaneously. I used to think this was pretty eye-watering, but hear it now as just another jazzy chord.

The tonality I was trying to get over in the snippet was bi-tonal I think - the second chord is actually a Bb with an Eb in the bass, and the third chord is F major with a Bb in the bass. I really like this sound - sort of crystalline. Done properly it sounds like Frank Bridge or Bruce Hornsby.

What chords did you try and decide they didn't work? Why was that?

8. 24aw

24aw Member

Nice chord progressions are such old hat!!! You should replace the missing chord with a sort of weird chanting, or the musicians hitting the there instruments while shouting in German!! Its probably not to late to get said composition in the forthcoming festival of brass at the RNCM if you employ those much more up to date techniques. The more totally baffling and pretentious the better.;) ;) ;)