What Brass Intrument Should I Play?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Joshua Testerman, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Joshua Testerman

Joshua Testerman New Member

I am just entering into the world of brass and have yet to pick an instrument. I am leaning towards Euphonium or French Horn but can't decide.
    What do you all think?

Sincerely,
    Joshua

2. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

Where in the world do you live?

The UK, you'll find plenty of brass bands with "training" bands/groups that will often lend you instruments and give you some basic guidance for far less money than it'd cost you to hire an instrument through commercial or school schemes...
    If there's a band like this near you, you may be able to glean more insight into what the brass band instruments are and their roles - as well as get some help starting out on the basics and some suggestions on what to practice.

This forum is almost entirely brass band focused - you won't find too much info relating to french horns because they're not found in the traditional british brass bands.

3. Joshua Testerman

Joshua Testerman New Member

Actually I am from the United States. :) I will look around my area for some brass bands.

4. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

Never know, you may get lucky.

I'd start here, though there may well be bands you won't find on here(?):
    Brass Bands Map - Brass Band Results

5. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Here's a chart to help you pick a brass band instrument.

Attached Files:

6. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Joking aside, your best bet is to find a friendly band (or teacher with a lot of different instruments!) who'll let you go along and try a few out - you may find it a lot more rewarding to go with the instrument you can get the best sound and range out of, and you may be surprised.....

7. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Agree with this - find a teacher who is willing to see how you sound/feel on each of the instruments and go from there.
    Haven't done something like this (for an adult) for about a month (they went for tuba) - haven't done it for a younger student for about 24 hours (French horn).
    If you aren't sure how to find someone, talk to your local schools and see if there is anyone there who can help out (especially if they have a strong band method in the school)

Tom-King and Accidental like this.
  8. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Active Member

I note that you are in the USA and believe that might well impact, in ways that are not always obvious to us in the UK, on what would be a sensible choice for you. That's not to say I disagree with anything said by others above, there's some great answers there.

Wherever you live I suggest that you include in your considerations the number and types of groups local to you where you might be able to play both now and later in life. It may also be that there is no demand for your favoured instrument or only demand for players of long experience. Of course you are likely to have many options if you live in a very large city such as New York, but should you live in rural Montana (State population just one million people) then your options might be very limited.

You might also like to consider the purchase costs of an instrument (in the UK Brass Band's loan instruments to their players free of charge) and think about how well it might match your build and wits. Some brass instruments are heavy and/or difficult to support (Tubas and Bass Trombone come to my mind) and music played by the Euphoniums in UK Brass Bands is typically difficult stuff for which sharp wits are needed.

When I started to learn to play a Cornet was supplied. They are light, relatively cheap, near half the players in a brass band use them, and parts (3rd Cornet and Solo Cornet) for the same piece of music vary a lot in difficulty between them so there are plenty of opportunies for all skill levels. Because you haven't told us much about you and your circumstances advising you about choosing between playing a Euphonium or a French Horn is rather hard and neither of them might be a good choice for you. Might I suggest that learning first on a Cornet/Trumpet is a path that has served a very large percentage of others well, why not consider doing the same?

Slider1 likes this.