What BRAND of mouthpiece do you play?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Despot, Mar 14, 2004.

?

What brand of mouthpiece do you use?

1. Warburton

13.6%
  2. Bach

15.2%
  3. Scilke

3.7%
  4. Denis Wick

44.0%
  5. Sparx

1.9%
  6. Conn

0.5%
  7. Benge

0.2%
  8. Besson

0.9%
  9. Giardinelli

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Rudy Muck

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Perantucci

3.0%
  12. Other...

16.9%
  1. pemjo

pemjo New Member

Original Mc Cann for me!!

2. tried all number of Denis Wick Mouthpieces, been on a 4b, 4, 3b and now settled on a 2b, I love it. ever since Mark Young kept on at me to change on to it. It really compliments my sound, I think... haha, and its the first time i've been able to work, succesfully, on strengthening my upper register.

Getting there slowly, on my own, lack of teaching is probably hindering my performance greatly.

3. R E Brown

R E Brown New Member

Tuba: Dillon PS 01 on my Miraphone 186-5U CC
    Euph: Just got my new(used) Besson 3V Compensating Euphonium. It did not come with a mpc, so I think I will try middle of the road pieces until I can sort it out. Perhaps a Denis Wick 4AM or 6AM, also needed to ask if anyone has Besson mpc specs-what are the specs for a Besson No. 4 Euphonium Mpc.
    Thanks for your help!
    Richard

4. Leveridge96

Leveridge96 Member

Wow first post on this thread in 6 years!

I had a besson mouthpiece come with my current tenor horn that i'm using but i hated it so i sold it and now use the Dennis wick 3 in the heritage range and classic range for my playing.

5. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

Funny to see this thread resurrected. In the 6 years since I made this post I've been using a Vincent Bach for the last 3 years. I alternate between a 24AW and 18 depending on what we're playing but I would never go back to the DW; ghastly thing, don't know why I used it for so long

6. simonium

simonium Member

Wick 4AL after dalliances with 2AL, 3AL, SM4, SM3.5, SM3, Bach 4G, 4GB, Ultra 3, Alliance 3, Yamaha 51 (for about a week) Back where I started....

7. B.Portas

B.Portas Member

Started on a Wick 4AL on my Imperial Euph, then bought a SM3 (medium bore) and love it.

8. Basstiger

Basstiger Member

Yes..........DW 1AL for my bass trombone, 4AL for my tenor

9. GordonH

GordonH Active Member

An odd question. Sparx 2 on cornet, but DW2 on flugel, Bach 1.5c on trumpet and Jet-Tone MF for lead. I also use a Josef Klier mouthpiece for piccolo trumpet. All have pretty similar rims apart from the Jet Tone.....

10. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

I've changed mouthpieces since I last posted on this thread. Since 2010 I have been using a Rath B1 MF mouthpiece.

11. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Wick Tuba 1L is not just for Christmas, it is for life.

Been tempted to change over the years, but can never make up my mind, or be bothered to travel to far flung corners!

12. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Does anyone play on a David Childs Alliance mouthpiece? What's score in relation to others?

I'm looking to start playing again and might be on the hunt for a mouthpiece that can help with a bit of power and range until I get my stamina back. I notice the Ultra range have brought out a new mouthpiece, but at £120 its on the steep side!

13. Mello

Mello Active Member

Try the Yamaha 38D4 it is very similar to the Denis Wick 2 , but designed to be a little easier in the upper register

14. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Back on the Denis Wick 5AL. This week...

A lot of people tend to look down their noses at those of us that change mouthpieces every now and then, but I view it as a change being better than a rest. I flit between a Schilke 5.1D*, Wick 5AL and Bach 5G most of the time, with the odd diversion towards Wick 4AL or Schilke 51D. Always use the same one for Alto trombone though. A Wick 10CS that Denis gave to me in 1996.

15. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

Loud LM-7

16. JimboFB

JimboFB Active Member

For years i played an SM4 on Euph, then i moved to the dark side and started honking out on a Schilke 60 on bass bone. I stumbled upon the fact that an old Wick 3 tuba mouthpiece fitted in the shank of my bass trom. Since then i cant get off the ****** thing. I've tried and tried but cant get on with the old Shilke at all.
    So, a Wick 3 for the bass trom, and if i ever play tenor trom or euph i've found the SM3.5 a beauty and works perfectly for me.

DW fan, cant get on with ANY other brand!

17. Matthew

Matthew Active Member

VB 7 or 18, or DW1 on BBb Tuba, VB 24AW on EEb. :)

Debating whether to try the deep DW mouthpieces or a Perantucci.

18. iancwilx

iancwilx Well-Known Member

Same with me. Not had many over the years, but apart from an old Kosikup BBb MP stuck in an EEb Bass, which wasn't bad, I've always gone back to a DW2L which suits me fine through a full range with full sound, (When in practice)

Mr Wilx

19. jmh3412

jmh3412 Member

Mike Finn 4, Conn Helleburg, Perantucci 88, Perantucci 65

20. simonium

simonium Member

I didn't think the Alliance Boy Childs models were much cop to be honest. They look very pretty but I thought they were too shallow and the numbers are 1 different, so a 3 is equivalent to a Wick or Ultra 4. The Ultra was interesting but I read into the fact that the Ultra X came put very quickly the original was flawed in some way. Probably Super G was a bit too hard for all the performances of Bravura possibly.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice