What bands are playing at Butlins?

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by nighttempla, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

It's quite true to say that the generous prize fund at the top (and indeed for the winners of the other sections) is funded by all the bands who don't win staying for the weekend and boozing all weekend (although I wouldn't put it quite as bluntly as other posters). As long as the entries stay high and banders keep enjoying a night on the lash, happy days.

I don't imagine anyone gives a flying one about Flowers winning four of the last five; at least they've had a bit of competition. It's way, way less of a farce than the joke that was the old mineworkers, where all Grimey had to do was turn up.

The only issue for the top section is the falling entry - 25% fewer bands than last year - and the ridiculous 10pm results. If bands need to leave then they leave, having the results ceremony so late doesn't keep them on site but it does mean (a) no atmosphere and (b) bands don't get to take their trophy home on the bus. I have no idea why a couple of the 'regulars' didn't attend this year, but it might be worth Butlins finding out. I suspect it's down to money, mind you.

2. owain_s

owain_s Member

This is an important point for anyone dismissing the lower section contests - are there any other contests which come anywhere close to offering two grand for the 4th section winner?

Having Desford not there because they weren't permitted to enter with Tom Davoren conducting, and Unite The Union being in the 1st section instead, did make it look quite drastic. The latter look well-placed for a bounce back to the top section, though.

One or two of the others are in a rather precarious position at the bottom of the Championship tables, however, and it would be understandable if they've prioritised the area contest. (A couple of those have entered Brass At The Guild, which might fit in with that theory.)

3. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

There was a thread on the 4BR FB page about Desford not being there. Those who had actually spoken to the people in question made it clear that there was no "not permitted" about it - they simply decided not to go well ahead of time.

Real pity that Untie the Onion got relegated - surely odds-on favourites for the 1st section 2015 national title? Cracking band whenever I've heard them.

4. Bbmad

Bbmad Active Member

On one hand. Then again, they walked away with £2k which wouldn't have happened in the one horse championship race.

5. tallyman

tallyman Member

One or two of the others are in a rather precarious position at the bottom of the Championship tables, however, and it would be understandable if they've prioritised the area contest. (A couple of those have entered Brass At The Guild, which might fit in with that theory.)[/QUOTE]
    If a championship section band can't master the torchbearer in the 7 or 8 weeks between Butlins and the areas they are clearly in the wrong section.More likely they don't want to go to the hassle and expense of attending with no chance winning

6. owain_s

owain_s Member

OK, fair enough.

7. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Well-Known Member

To be honest I dont give a flying one about the top section ! it was a cracking weekend for us in the lower sections, with entertainment of a pretty high standard as usual, in fact I believe The Kings Division would beat most top bands in the country (if allowed to compete). That concert was incredible.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2015
  8. tallyman

tallyman Member

I heard the Kings Division at whit friday last year they were very good on the street march but on the contest march like a very average grand shield band

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2015
  9. Bbmad

Bbmad Active Member

All speculation of course and until they decide to compete at a major contest (pretty unlikely) we will never know. IMHO they would definitely hold their own in the Championship section.

10. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Well-Known Member

you seriously need to wash out yer lug holes then. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

11. tallyman

tallyman Member

Maybe, how did their results compare at whit friday out of curiosity ?

12. Bbmad

Bbmad Active Member

13. tallyman

tallyman Member

14. Bbmad

Bbmad Active Member

I would like to see them enter, would be interesting. But not going to happen.

15. owain_s

owain_s Member

"Average Grand Shield band" and "can hold their own in the Championship section" aren't incompatible statements, are they?

16. Bbmad

Bbmad Active Member

Having heard them at Butlins and from the contest results they got at the Whits, I would say those two statements are probably about right. But it is a bit like asking if Manchester City could win the Spanish League, we will never know.

17. tallyman

tallyman Member

Kings Division are easy championship standard but I think they would come off second best to the likes of Dyke, Grimethorpe and Cory etc, but it would be interesting if they were to get a wilde card for the British Open.

18. Bbmad

Bbmad Active Member

Hmm yes, I suspect you are right, probably in the Flowers category.

19. tallyman

tallyman Member

Wilde card for Butlins ??

20. Bbmad

Bbmad Active Member

That I would like to see.