What band pieces do you sing?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Pythagoras, Mar 23, 2007.

1. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

I have a habit of singing bits of band pieces a lot. At the moment its the bass part from the beginning of Amparita Roca or bits of Prelude and Jubilate. What band tunes do other people sing?
  2. Veri

Veri Member

I sing all the time, usually the euph/bari part of whatever cd is on. But, what with so much time on the Wayfarer, I have spent a lot of time singing that recently. In fact, I even woke up one day the morning after band singing it :oops:
  3. MHunt

MHunt New Member

Surely after the last week waking up singing the Wayfarer could be considered i nightmare! ;)

It's not so bad if you play a part where you actually have the tune every now and again, the Eb Bass part of the wayfarer is not so inspiring!
  4. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

"Carnival" - AArrghh!!!! - it just won't go away even two weeks after the contest !!
    - Wilkie
  5. Daisy Chain

Daisy Chain New Member

After winning the 4th section regionals a good few years ago playing Mexican Fiesta (I think that was the name!) the entire band sang their own part in the coach on the way home - it was a triumph!!

I'd love to hear you sing the quintuplets in Amparito Roca - that would be an achievement!
  6. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Floral Dance
  7. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

well i normally sing what ever test piece we are playing to go to the contest with .
    Like all through Feb& part of March it was the Wayfarer .
    So glad i did as we WON the Midlands Area 1st Section
  8. kenbo

kenbo New Member

I sing whatever we are working on, the second trombone parts at that, ARRRRRRRRRRRR! :confused: :rolleyes:
  9. Jonesy

Jonesy Member

You've kept that quiet! :-?
  10. Veri

Veri Member

It was the second baritone part...good thing I live by myself!!
  11. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

At least you COULD sing the wayfarer, unlike plenty of other test pieces I could mention! ;)

MISS PITCH Member

medley of course!!
    grr... always in my head... but whistled... grr...

WHISTLING ROOLZ!! Who needs instruments when u can whistle?!

FAYe xxx
  13. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

I'm always singing brass band arrangements but it drives me mad when I can't think what the title is.

ROBTHEDOG Member

Volcano !!! The opening - just to remind me that Phil McCann couldn't play without vibrato !!

MISS PITCH Member

lol --- we do something simular for the quartet contest -- GREAT practice and a way of making sure everyone knows there part!

FAye x
  16. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Oh yes he could when required, and IMHO opinion he had the sweetest sound of the times, and I've heard them all over the years.
    I played in the same band as Philip for a long time and knew his talents well.
    I must admit though, that as a first class top cornet, soloist, and section leader, I've got to go for Derek Garside at Manchester Co-op in the 1960's
    Ok Mods, back on topic !
    - Wilkie
  17. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

I was singing the Wayfarer for a month leading up to the areas...and ever since then I've been singing Carnival :mad: ...I definitely listened to too much of the second section that weekend...:rolleyes:
  18. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Funny how times have changed - listening back to the Volcano record* from the 1970's, the amount of split notes and misspitches is amazing. Not knocking the band, though. The sound was brilliant and they were streets ahead of anyone else. I'll be singing Volcano for the next couple of days now you've mentioned it!

*Yes, I have it on LP!
  19. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

I always sing my part to whatever piece we are playing most at band.. and I sound so stupid! Because sometimes i'm just walking around singing offbeats or long notes! :rolleyes:

If only I was a cornet or Euph! :( lol
  20. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

One day, my dear, one day!