What Attracts Players to Bands

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Charmed, Jan 22, 2006.

What would attract you to a band?

1. Location

41 vote(s)
  2. Join a higher section to improve playing

39 vote(s)
  3. Join a lower section to play a higher position

3 vote(s)
  4. For the social side of the band

39 vote(s)
  5. For the contests/concerts the band attends

41 vote(s)
  6. Expenses

6 vote(s)
  7. Other

12 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

I was just wondering what attracts players to bands these days. You see so many bands advertising for players and some bands seem to be advertising for long periods for the same positions whereas other bands are able to fill them quickly.

Why is this?

If you were or are looking for a band to join, what would make the decision for you to join a particular band.

I know this is a fairly open question and there could be lots of reasons. However, I have polled some possible reasons but please post anything else that may have influenced you.

I think it may be useful for bands to know what people are looking for.
  2. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Another Option

Another possible answer that I forgot to include in the poll is 'Expenses'. If the mods could possibly add this to the poll, I would be grateful. Thanks

Edit - done! (dyl)
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2006
  3. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

One that would have me!
  4. julestools

julestools Active Member

I have played for the same band for almost 35 years because it is the village band and they provide me with an instrument (BBb) which I could not otherwise afford. It's a good crowd although some players are not as dedicated as others. I enjoy concerts but am not keen on contests (I blame the adjudicators) although I do take part because the "band" want to. I will play for any band which asks me nicely (When I am fit again).

I was on holiday last year in South Wales and saw Milford Haven Town Band playing with one bass so I joined in and played for two hours. Wife was not happy

Jules ( !00th post :D )
  5. Fergus

Fergus Member

I've been playing in my current band for nearly 10 years and chose to join because they were in a higher section than the band I was playing for.
    In this time we have yo-yo'd every few years between Championship and first section - currently first section. The main aspect that keeps me in the band now is the people and our team approach to our hobby.
  6. lottie4744

lottie4744 Member

What attracts me to a band? Never thought about this before. Suppose if I see a band that's close enough and they have a good repuation with a vacancy that might suit me, i'll go down for a blow. I'll only stay at a band though if I think it's pushing my playing, if the people are sound and if I have a laugh at band. Can't see the point of being at a band where your not pushing your playing and you're not enjoying it.
  7. tinytimp

tinytimp Member

I moved to my current band as I was going out with one of the players at the time!

I don't think that's quite a valid reason, so I'd say if I was thinking of joining of my own accord, it would be a band where I'd feel challenged to play a better/different part. Although the social side would be a huge factor too, I wouldn't stay in a perhaps better band if I didn't get on with the personnel there.
  8. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

What about the sort of music they play? Some bands play quite a dire selection of music :tongue: (like my band!!) thankfully its all sorted since I won the tMP quiz, got some good music on the way! :D:D:D of course we had ZULU before but that was all!

Social side is definately important as is a friendly bunch of people :D after all for most people its a hobby! :D
  9. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

Im quitting playing now then
  10. IYOUNG

IYOUNG Member

Couiple of things for me really:-

1. The type of Personnel the band has in its ranks
    2. The music the band plays and the types of engagements it does

For me these rank more important than the ability of the band
  11. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

The band I play in has to have certain things.

Be fairly local.

Have a good contest/concert mix.

Have a good social side.

The music has to challenge me.

I don't think I can pick any of the above as being the single most important aspect.
  12. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

For me the main thing is the Concerts and contests that the band does.
    I could do a contest a week if possible and so wouldn't want to be in a band that only does the areas once a year.
    Also if a band does quality concerts (good crowds or location) then it gives you something to look forward to.

After that the social make-up of the band needs to be good. Are the band friendly do they have a good time together as a band?

I think that if a band has the same ideas as you about banding then you are going to enjoy being in it
  13. Steve

Steve Active Member

Are there any hotties, do they rehearse in a pub or not and do they accept shallow people :p
  14. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

I just love Contests.:woo
    Going to play at them and going to listen to them.
    Concerts are ok providing you get at least a 85% full hall, we are very lucky with that, super concerts always something different to leave the audience wanting to come to the next one we do:clap:
  15. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

LMFOA :clap: :D
  16. Chris Sanders

Quote: (Originally Posted by Steve)
    Are there any hotties, do they rehearse in a pub or not and do they accept shallow people :p
    tMP - The Place For Like-Minded Individuals!!
  17. JayneSop

JayneSop Member

Better Band??? Are there any lol
  18. Steve

Steve Active Member

I hope not, for everybodies sake.
  19. Chris Sanders

Ok, but its the first time ive agreed with anyone on anything not rock related :D
  20. Steve

Steve Active Member

so after all this time, the first band related agreement you find is with a sarcastic fool talking about women and beer. gotta love brass banding!