What are you reading at the moment?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by nethers, Jan 6, 2011.

1. nethers

nethers Active Member

Sorry if this has been done before!

Most of the great books I have read have been recommended by friends, so let us all know, what are you reading, and is it any good?

I'll put one in first...
  2. nethers

nethers Active Member

Monstrum, by Donald James.

Set in near-future Russia (essentially today but following a brutal civil war), the reluctant protaganist finds himself drawn in to a world of murder, women, poverty, politics... the book has it all.

The language is complex and all in the first person, which taken with the steady pace of plot progression doesn't make this a light read. But the slow movement is for a reason as the author weaves a complex web of characters and plot.

Highly recommended, especially if Russian history/culture/politics interest you and I look forward to getting the next two books in the trilogy.

Available for a couple of quid on Amazon, bargain.
  3. bariwizard

bariwizard Member

An old copy of Razzle. It's looking a little dated now, but I like the stories best anyway.:clap:
  4. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

Just finished Memoirs of a Fruitcake - Chris Evans
  5. nigeb12

nigeb12 Member

A Week in December Sebastian Faulks
  6. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Dead or Alive by Tom Clancy. About a terrorist attack on the US. It's a follow on from the books made into films with Harrison Ford. Seeing as Clancy wrote about planes being used as weapons, before it happened, I hope this one isn't prophetic too.
  7. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Congo - A History by David Van Reybrouck - Excellent book about the history of the DR Congo, starting from the foundation of the Kongo Freestate by Henry Morton Stanley and Belgian King Leopold II. The book has won almost every literary prize in Belgium and the Netherlands in the past year.

An English translation should be coming out soon ;)
  8. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

"A World on Fire: The Hiostory of Two Nations Divided" by Amanda Foreman.

I'm a big US Civil war buff , and this book looks at the fractious relationship between the two protagonists and the UK. Particularly focusing on the sypathies of the UK governement towards the Confederacy despite the fact that the working classes in the Lancashire mills that were most dependent on Southern cotton were firmly behind the north due to the antipathy they felt towards slavery. The book looks at the stories of Brit involvement on both sides , and the Alabama incident that nearly precipitated war between the US and UK.
  9. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

10. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

Currently working my way through the Sharpe series by Bernard Cornwell... on book 3 at the moment. They're quite enjoyable and very gripping at times.
  11. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

Currently reading "Killing the Shadows" by Val McDermid.

McDermid is known for writing the books that the tv series "Wire in the Blood" was based on.
    All the books I've read by her (All the Tony Hill books and this one) are crime thrillers with a lot of psychological profiling.

Not a bad read if I am honest!
  12. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I like Bernard Cornwell - quite apart from the fact that he had links with my area (and the SA) in his youth. I've just finished his latest offering, "The Fort", based on a real incident from the American War of Independence, but didn't think it one of his better offerings.
  13. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

"A View from the Foothills" by Chris Mullin

Chris Mullin's diaries from his time as a junior minister under Tony Blair. Very revealing, and he doesn't pull his punches.
  14. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

The Moghul, Thomas Hoover

free on my Kindle :)
  15. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

16. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Good choice. If you don't want to read the whole series definitely read Sharpe's Regiment, and the one that I cannot rememeber the name of where he joins the Forlorn Hope to storm a fort.
  17. Herbi Roots

Herbi Roots New Member

Miles: The autobiography.
    Having a bit of a jazz theme at the moment. Started with Art Pepper, then Charlie Parker now Miles Davis.
    (Art Pepper's straight life is the best by a long way though)
  18. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

Dexter in the Dark by Jeff Lindsay. I'm going through the old ones before beginning the latest book (Dexter is Delicious) which I received for Christmas