What are those brass moments you replay over and over again?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Dave Payn, Jul 22, 2004.

1. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Just reacquainted myself with the LSO Live recording from June 2002 of the Planets, amongst much exemplary work from Maurice Murphy is the moment where he takes certain notes in one of the themes in Jupiter up the octave and just nails it! (Remembering it's live of course!) Respect! It gets better on each repeated hearing!

What moments from recordings (taken from live events or otherwise) do you just have to 'rewind and replay one more time'?
  2. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

Um, in the car, we've got an mp3 CD of brass band music...

I think we always end up playing the same pieces all the time wherever we are! Ruby tuesday, Paganini variations, Jazz...(for the solos! WOW! :wink: )

:roll: :D
  3. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Middle bit of the second movement of Year of the Dragon by Britannia at the euros '92... hairs on back of neck time!

Also don't have a recording but i'll always remember my dads playing of the euph cadenza in variations on a 9th....goosebumps, and gave me an incentive to want to play euph
  4. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

Re: What are those brass moments you replay over and over ag

Shhhh! There's people round these parts don't like people altering which octave you play in :wink:
  5. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Re: What are those brass moments you replay over and over ag

(Whispers) *I know! I was just wondering whether they would come to the surface if I posted this. Don't tell anyone I told you!* ;-) :lol:
  6. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

100% agree with you on this one.

Plus, since I got the European 2004 CD - YBS playing St Magnus and Music of the Spheres. As I've said before elsewhere - absolutely breathtaking.
  7. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

I'd go along with that, the last 6 bars of St Magnus for me.
  8. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

"Dance fever" on Vitae Lux by YBS, for the precision of the horns at the start.
  9. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Partita from the Heaton Collection.
    Energy from Desford's Robert Simpson CD.
    George Lloyd CD 1991 Dyke and Dave King
    Circius ( wind of the North)Torstein Aagard Nilson from Essence of Time CD. Dyke and DK.
    Essays Vol 1. YBS
    NYBBW recording of the complete " Fest Music der stad Wein " with Frank Renton 1993
    all of these are amazing
  10. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

A few recent ones for me:

-The final movement of 'St Magnus', where the tune reappears - hair ends on the back of the neck up everytime without fail. Pete Roberts riding above the tune is awesome.

-The coda from 'Music of The Spheres' - What can I say?!? Percussionist whipping like a lunatic, Bob Blackburn tearing through the crazy semi quavers, trombone gliss to huge Roberts 'smack in the middle' Bb! Does it get any better than this :?:

- Wynton Marsalis playing 'Carnival Of Venice'...... :shock: :shock: :shock: So good I was nearly sick :lol:
  11. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Tell you what Nick, I will be the first to admit that I knock some of your thoughts sometimes but I cannot disagree with the above...some fine choices sir :D I prefer Brittanias European performance of 'English Heritage' to Dyke Studio version though :wink:
  12. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

I prefer the CWS Glasgow english heritage from the RAH (CWS Glasgow meets sovereign soloists from Doyen)...
    for me on the George Lloyd CD...Evening Hymn nothing better to relax listening to it..perfect chillout music.
  13. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

definately paganini variations recorded by grimethorpe on the CD of the same name.
  14. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

last 20 maybe 30 bars of Elsa's Procession to the Minster cannot rememebr who arranged it but the Transcription one of it. Where the whole of the bass end come in really loud on the tune, then it's ff til the end.

15. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

Probably the Snell arrangement you're thinking of. :wink:
    For me, amognst many things, Wynton Marsalis doing a 'double super F' at last years Proms. His solo in one of the items was just that, he stood up, played it, and sat down.
    Again with Wynton, his recording of Moto Perpetuo. Not only four and a half minutes of circular breathing, but all those semiquavers, and no loss of tone at all (including a super F too!)
  16. I cant stop replaying a brass band track called 'fantom of the opera,music of the night'. That to me is an absalute cracker of a peace. I use to play it with my band , it had a brilliant affect. It starts off quietly but soon builds to a hair raising climax :wink:. Also, i like the finale to 'Shine as the light', i often replay that over and over again :lol:
  17. Morghoven

Morghoven Member

For all the wrong reasons....

YBS - Essays for Brass 2 - Toccata: Oh, the Blessed Lord - last chord. Soprano split so huge I can't believe it made the final recording!! :oops: :oops:

Fantastic moments are too many to name, and change according to mood, weather, day of the week, etc.

18. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

I love to hear the end of the cadenza and the next few bars in Varied Mood.......God that's classic!!
  19. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Mention of Wynton Marsalis reminds me of when I bought his lp "Carnival", with the top "G" at the end of the last solo - not so easy to go back and replay a track in those days, but needless to say it went straight back on.

Had much the same reaction when I first listened to Derryck Diffey playing "Life Abundant" on the CSB European tour lp.
  20. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Hymn at Sunrise - R.S.A live performance from the Masters. brilliant performance by Faireys and James Gourlay.
    Would be good to see this at a competition again ( I think it's only been used at the masters in 1996 )