What are the best acoustics for a bandroom?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Mr_Euniverse, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Mr_Euniverse

Mr_Euniverse Member

I've often wondered about our bandhall. If anyone's been to it, it's just loud. You play piano and it's loud, you play play ff and it's FLIPPIN LOUD! However, go into a hall and it's all nice.

What I'm getting at is that the acoustics of our bandhall are preventing us from reaching the real top dynamics.

So what's the solution?

Is a dead, soundproofed room the best? Or is a spacious hall-like acoustics better?
  2. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

3. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

I followed the above link and read this post:

"We at Camborne had exactly the same problems,it was a major misson but now its done the effect its had on the bands sound is huge.Firstly a decent carpet with underlay if poss,next carpet squares fixed to the bottom of the chairs,we then half carpeted the walls up to dado rail height. We have regular visits from our musical advisor Alan Morrison and he says the improvements are noticeable.We also did the roof/ceiling but thats another story lol"

Then I Googled Camborne Band for some nice pics. Looks like a great job...:clap:
  4. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

Also this:

"It's worth getting your local library to order a copy of Rod Gervais' book."

Home Recording Studio: Build it Like the Pros (Paperback)

by Rodney Gervais (Author)
  5. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

"It's also worth having a look at Eddie Bazil's tutorial series on Samplecraze (part 1 here) about the kind of things that are used for killing reflections in a listening environment. Apologies in advance for the dodgy pictures of Max ;-)"
  6. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

To an extent, I wouldn't get too hung up about it - depending on exactly how bad it is - have you ever visited Dyke / Fodens / Leyland / Cory etc rehearsal spaces?

I don't see them particularly worried about it ;)
  7. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

OK - Brain Picking Time :)
    Taking your start as a bare room, and with a view to also using the rehearsal space as a recording facility, what would you cover the respective surfaces with?
  8. KMJ Recordings

Read the books ;)

There's too much to cover on a thread like this - plus I'm not an acoustic engineer....however, if you've seriously got a room you need doing PM me and I'll put you in contact with him.
  9. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

10. Kjata

Kjata Member

Surely for a practice room you need a dead acoustic so you can hear exactly what goes on?!
  11. sop 1

sop 1 Member

Our band room is the deadest acoustic iv ever played in!!
    Very low ceiling, and is covered in curtains too!!
    Hasn't done us any harm ;)
  12. KMJ Recordings

Not always.

Playing into a dead space can make you overblow and can change the noise you make in an adverse way.