What about us?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by shedophone, Nov 24, 2003.

1. shedophone

shedophone Member

Its great that brass soloists get a chance to shine in various regional and national solo competitions, but what about percussion?!

Percussion is an important part of any brass band, and many bands now have percussion soloists. Where are all the solo competitions that allow percussion entry? :evil:

Forgive me if i'm wrong, and please put me right, i'd love to know that there are competitions for us shed builders. If not, will somebody please invent a couple? :lol:
  2. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

I reckon we should just enter the British Open contest! ;-P
  3. Di

Di Active Member

The Leicestershire Brass Band Association has a percussion section in their April (open to all bands) Solo, Duet and Quartet Competition. :D
  4. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

I agree ... but we (Emley) managed fine recently without percussion ... suffice to say, for the Vizcaya we'll need some though!
  5. shedophone

shedophone Member

Ahem. I'm sure you managed 'fine' without percussion. I'm sure an orchestra would manage 'fine' without a brass section!
    However, if the piece has a percussion part (which most pieces written or arranged in the last 30 years will have!), you are not doing what the composer wanted. Therefore you are not playing accurate renditions of your pieces so they will not be as good as pieces played with the correct instruments.
  6. James McFadyen

James McFadyen New Member

The percussion section is the most important section in The Brass Band. Creating drive and energy.

Combining music and noise is a fine art that composers have to get 'just right'

I do agree, there should be a lot more percussion solo works.

You may be interested to know I'm going to be doing an arrangment of 'DANCE WITH THE DEVIL' by Cozy Powell - bring out your big bass drums and rock drummers! :wink:
  7. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

Yes I agree, to a point. I may be a percussionist, but surely the whole band should create equal amounts of drive and energy? :) Having said that, a good percussion sections adds an awful lot to a band.

I've found percussion solos tend to be cheesy (like many xylophone solos it has to be said, ie Helter Skelter) or quite long and hard, involving quite a lot of gear (ie Variations for Percussion).

A solo competition for percussion is a brilliant idea! :D :D
  8. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

Whychavon has a prize for the best percussion section.
  9. HBB

HBB Active Member

Surely all the sections are equal. Even if you've got "um-chugs" they're vital. So, although they may create
    they shouldn't be so loud that you can't hear the actual brass band!
  10. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

A perc solo of Csardas won the best soloist prize at the Youth Ents at Blackpool this year... maybe it's just the old guys that don't appreciate you!
  11. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

Percussion sosists are allowed at the Durham League solo contests. Anne Armstrong from Ever Ready has been a regular competitor
  12. shedophone

shedophone Member

Thanks for all the info.
    Does anyone know how to enter any of these competitions then and when they are?
    Just out of interest is Anne from ever ready at the RNCM now? I did a couple of concerts with ever ready earlier in the year.
  13. shedophone

shedophone Member

I don't see why we shouldn't be allowed to enter the British solo championships either- do people have objections to percussion entereiing the competition, and could someone tell me why they dont?
    I know that percussion's a relatively late addition to the brass band, but that excuse is becoming a bit out-dated now. I wouldn't go as far as James McFadyen and say we're the most important section in the band- its a Brass band after all. however, bands would just not be as good without their beloved 'shed sections', percussion adds a lot of drive and interest to any piece and should not be missed out! :D
  14. MartinT

MartinT Member

Oxford & District BBA Brass Festival in April has a percussion section these days.