What a great site

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Furn, Aug 17, 2006.

1. Furn

Furn New Member

My name is Robyn (aka Furn) & I hail from sunny Australia. I have just started playing Flugel horn and feel like a Flugel junkie. I have never played an instrument before and never read music but now I have to make myself put my flugel down to get some sleep. I thought that at 47 I was too old to learn but boy was I wrong. My only regret is not starting 20 years ago.

So far I have had 12 lessons and we are already at the end of beginners trumpet book :) My teacher has said that he never had a student like me :) Too old....blah to that!

I am always in search of music to aspire to play and would love to have the arrangement sheet music for Aranjuez featured in the Movie Brassed Off. I believe the arrangement was done by Kevin Bolton. I'ts such a beautiful arrangement.

Hope this doesn't all sound like I'm blowing my own trumpet but my new found love has just taken me away.

Love to hear from you all
  2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Great to have you on board, Robyn, and even better that you've discovered the fun in playing an instrument. You're not alone in being a late starter - my dad had a trombone pupil who didn't begin to play unitl he had turned retirement age.

I'm sure you'll get much enjoyment from your flugel, and look forward to more posts from you on here - we're quite a frendly bunch, with members from all over the world, so you're in good company ;)

3. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Hello there! :hi

What an excellent 1st post. Here I was thinking that at 'soon to be 40' my playing would start going down the wrong side of the hill! :eek: You've made me believe that I can still improve! :clap: Good Luck in your future brass playing! :biggrin:
  4. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

I agree - a lovely 1st post - thanks for making that one Robyn. You're never too old to learn, and it's great to read what you are doing.

Glad you like the site - hope to see you around these parts and posting regularly - don't forget to tell your friendss and family about us yeah :)
  5. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Hi Robyn/Frun - glad to see you made it over here without any problems:biggrin:
  6. Furn

Furn New Member

Thanks all, you are all so positive and welcoming. Special thanks to "trumpetmike" who directed me to this site. I'm sure that you will all teach me a lot in your posts. The future is so enticing.
  7. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Welcome on board! Any questions or problems, just pm one of the mod team. :tup