what a band may need??!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by savewaterdrinkbeer, May 6, 2005.

1. why is it when a band needs to borrow players its either cornets or basses or troms? i have hardly seen any bands needing horns. apart from the few i've helped out which has only been approx 5

any suggestions??

JOHNSUD Member

Its horns and trombones who are our problem at the minute, I know plenty I can borrow but they are all happy at other bands.
  3. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

Maybe Horn Players are more, loyal, commited, dedicated and just generally great people!!:confused:
  4. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Cornets because there are more of them in the standard instrumentation.

Trombones because it is a specialty - there are many people who can move from one valved instrument to another and do OK, but might have no clue what to do with a trombone slide. It's much easier to convert say, a cornet player to tenor horn than it is to convert the same player to trombone.
    Last edited: May 6, 2005
  5. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

And nobody cares much whether the horns are there or not! Probably because we horn players don't play the 'Glory' parts of the band.
  6. Just Crazy

Just Crazy Member

This is very true!;)
  7. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

We usually need a bit of extra help from Trombones (although we can cope without them), an extra bass is often quite useful, and a couple of extra cornet players always makes it slightly easier (for me) on the lips!

We often have a french horn come and play for us! (Although she did use to play solo horn for us, before she got a scholarship to a music school and had to change to french horn)...and her two brothers play for us anyway...so I guess that doesn't really count!! Nice sound though! :)
  8. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

We've always had 4 horns so even when one has been missing the parts have still been covered. However we've just lost one player and our solo horn player is expecting twins in august so I will have to do some borrowing this year.
  9. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Because of shift work Baritones can sometimes be a problem for us.

But with 5 basses 3 of whom have played baritone we can usually cover it from within.

I guess we are in a fortunate position that we have regular players prepared to do what is needed for the band.
  10. UncleStreaky

UncleStreaky Member

I often get asked to dep for bands who need help on trombone which is great cos I get to make a lot of friends.

Think I'm gonna start playing bass as well cos just about every band round here needs basses some or all of the time so I can become Mr Popular overnight!