What’s your favourite instrument and why?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by 2nd tenor, Feb 28, 2019.

1. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Well-Known Member

I’m glad that you like your Bach Strad 37 Trumpet. I suggest that you talk to your Teacher about valves and whether to lubricate or not. A bottle of valve oil costs little and lasts for years, it really would be a shame if your valves started to wear because you hadn’t lubricated them - valves and their casings are both difficult and expensive to replace, and alternative repair isn’t always possible or cheap.

2. J. Jericho

J. Jericho New Member

You're destroying your valves. Lubricate them every few days with a synthetic valve oil, or every day with a conventional valve oil. No excuses!

Slider1 and Tom-King like this.
  3. Ron Lander

Ron Lander Member

Definitely the trumpet. Performers that spring to mind are Maurice Andre, Maynard Ferguson and Miles Davies. Many years ago I was lucky enough to play trumpet in Orchestra, big band and even a German steam band!

Started off with a second hand Conn Constellation. But during my time at the Royal Military School of Music Knellar Hall another student needed to sell his almost new Olds Rafael Mendez trumpet so he could buy a motorbike! I managed to secure it. What a wonderful looking trumpet. Gold plated and sympathetically engraved from mouthpiece receiver to the bell.

Had a great time playing it, but after getting married and deciding it was time to leave the Army it was sold to pay for my discharge by purchase.

If I had to pick just one trumpet player it would have to be Maurice Andre. Imho nobody since has matched his skill and listenability.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice