Whale in the Thames!! (now)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Rapier, Jan 20, 2006.

1. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Just heard on the News that a whale has swum up the Thames. So all you Londoners, go and have a look and tell us about it.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Thames
    Londoners
    Whale
    look
    News
  3. kevs67

kevs67 New Member

Somebody should have told Fern Britten she can't swim in the thames. She'll take a bridge out or something.

4. julestools

julestools Active Member

Well "Call me Ishmael"

xx

Jules

5. Mister 4x4

Mister 4x4 Member

Dang... tough crowd. :D ;)

Actually, are you sure it's not a BYU Co-Ed on holiday spashing about?

6. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Well, it's currently in quite shallow waters, and the police launches (guided by Marine experts) are trying to convince it to swim back downstream. It has hit a few boats, but does seem otherwise OK.

Amazing sight, but I'm worried it will end in tears.

On Sky News and BBC24 if you've digital access.

Will

7. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

8. 1alexm

1alexm Member

i bet that hasnt happend before

9. julestools

julestools Active Member

Probably got a scholarship to Oxford and late for his interview. I heard these whales are very intelligent. They'll have anyone at Oxford.

xx

Jules

10. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Poor little thing. It's probably blind and terrified. Am feeling quite tearful now. Hope it gets back to open sea, although "open sea" is a relative term when it comes to the North Sea and the Channel.
    Anyone remember Willy who got stuck in the Mersey a few years back?
    BMB
    xx

11. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

Haven't had the time, may think about it tommorow if it is still there!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Thames
    Londoners
    Whale
    look
    News
  13. Di

Di Active Member

14. Di

Di Active Member

Watching live on Sky now. They've managed to capture the whale and will be examining it to see if it'll be fit to be released.

Oooh I hope so. :(

15. Di

Di Active Member

16. matti_raz

matti_raz Member

I know i just saw it before i clicked on this thread....... what they dont say is that the stress of the 'rescue' probably killed it..... because yesterday it had perfect health apparently??? :S

17. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

No it wasnt it had cuts and stuff apparantly. It probably was stressed but it would have been if they had left it aswell.
    :( Poor whale :(

18. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

It would have died anyway if they'd left it in the Thames. Whales can't navigate properly in rivers and it would have become beached somewhere and died.
    Poor little thing.
    BMB
    xx

19. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Are any whale / dolphin / porpoise rescues ever successful? :confused:

They don't seem to be - either the animal dies before they can release it, or it just beaches itself again. I heard a theory a couple of years ago that a whale etc only gets beached because it is ill, so it's navigation systems (for want of a better phrase) are out of action. There was another theory around the same time that they know they are dying so they come into shallow waters (bit like elephants all going to the same place to die maybe?).

Sad news whatever the reason. It looked magnificent in the Thames when I saw it on the news yesterday. :(

20. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

This morning on Breakfast, rumours have started to come through that the Navy might be responsible for the the whale ending up disorientated!! Apparently the radar signals can effect them, disorientating them.

Does everything have to have a sinister reason? Can't it be that the whale was 'poorly' from natural causes which resulted in it's disorientation?

Is it too difficult to wait for the postmortem which might tell us what happened to the poor whale without all the 'theorist' jumping in?

Obviously it is!

21. Mister 4x4

Mister 4x4 Member

It's always easier to place blame, than to just accept reality.

If the whale would've been left to its own, it probably would've died anyway eventually. If people would've intervened more aggressively, it probably would've died from all the stress as well. Plus there's no telling that had it gotten back into open ocean that it wouldn't have gone back upriver again, or died anyway. Anybody remember when PETA released a harbor seal back into the wild after nursing it back to health, only to be devored by a Killer Whale within the first 3 minutes? Stuff happens. At some point, people have to realize that they did all they could, and that the odds were just stacked too high against success.

Doesn't take away from the sadness of the whole deal though - a harmless animal died and people had to watch. It's a bummer, but what can you do, really?

22. poor thing, shame that storys like this don't have happy endings all the time, least people tried and gave it half a chance, i guess if it wasn't yesterday then it would have been today,
    shame though, any way

see you all later, and remember...

Rob