Wettest Band Job

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by postie, May 13, 2007.

1. postie

postie Member

Just come back from our engagement at Newark & Notts Show. Oh dear did it rain I think since we have been at Bestwood one of the wettest. It did rain last year at Newark but certainly not on the levels of today. Over the last few years we have normally got away with fairly decent weather but unfortunatly not today. I wondered if anyone else encountered bad weather on outdoor jobs today as the Summer season is kicking off.

Last edited: May 13, 2007
  2. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

Well it is still a bit early in the year for any comment about this year, but two years ago we did the Kirkby Lonsdale contest, for any one from the other bands who were there will verify that the weather was superb for most of the day. However at the end of the contest itself, all the bands who took part played for a massed bands small concert, this involved a march and one or two other pieces, just as we started the heavens opened and we all got a good soaking, with one or two complaining the music was running off the pages as we played. Afterwards I could wring nearly a pint out of my shirt. Pity it was only rain water and not beer.

3. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

With Lydney band - (i think it was newent? onion fair?)...

Rained while we were playing inside, we got outside and the highstreet was flooded knee deep....

4. leisa

leisa Active Member

oh yes - Holme Silver last year old silkstone march contest...so hard to keep playing when you whole instrument is soaked as are you...we won though!

5. flugtastic

flugtastic Member

yesterday at the boarshurst contest! the heavens opened as the 1st band marched down!

6. MartinT

MartinT Member

Wettish yesterday, at the 70th anniversary of a bus shelter in deepest West Oxfordshire (don't ask). But more to the point, high winds uprooted the gazebo our "B" band were playing under, and a flying pole nearly put the 1st trombone's eye out. :eek:

7. floppymute

floppymute Member

I remember many years past taking part in a large procession as part of the Preston Guild celebrations (once every 20 years). Over the course of Guild week our band took part in 10 processions and, because of the prestigious occasion had purchased a brand new set of uniforms at considerable expense. On one procession, thankfully towards the end of the week, there was a massive thunderstorm near the start which soaked everyone thoroughly. We then found out about the 'quality' of the new uniforms. By the end we all had trousers shrunk to the knees and jackets shrunk to the elbows and looked like a bunch of well-turned-out Laurel & Hardy's. Deportment prize? I think not!

8. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

Wettest Band Job?!?!?! Hahahahahahhahaha

Gotta Be Something To Do With Marines!!!!!!!!

9. alks

alks Member

Last year our band were on a float being pulled along the length of the village by a tractor playing marches. Well less than a minute in to the procession it totally tipped down big time. Everyone socked through, the music gtot so wet that it broke up and had to be thrown away. Nobody had a change of cloths, then suddenly it was all sunny again and while socking wet the band then played a hour long concert on the village green. Crazy.......

10. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

I've helped Grange Moor Band do a March in Shaw in Lancashire a couple of times, and each time the heavens have just opened. I think they're probably the wettest I've got while playing.

*edit*

Just remembered! Brighouse march Contest last year! The heavens opened just as we were setting up to play our standing march, and stopped just as we finished!! This was only slightly less annoying than the official who stood there watching us set up and then play in the driving rain telling us as we finished that we could have set up under the canopy if we'd liked!! :mad:

Oh yeah? Triffic!! Just slam the stable door shut after the horse has beggered off why don't you!!! :ranting2:

Last edited: May 14, 2007
  11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Notts Show
    Bestwood one
    Wettest Band Job
    Newark
    outdoor jobs
  12. Veri

Veri Member

Saturday 12th - the ODBBA March for the Oxford Lord Mayor's Parade... Started off sunny, until we were about half an hour in, then the heavens opened! I felt sorry for those in white shirts. Whereas I had a cagoule on :) . I now need a similar waterproof for my baritone - when I got it home and turned it upside down, about a litre of water came out - I'm sure it couldn't all have been spit!

13. euphybeast

euphybeast Member

It was the second band. It stopped as we finished playing.

14. About a bakers dozen plus years ago, I was playing in a park in Stratford-Upon-Avon......

My lord! the heavens didn't just open, it was like the fifth horseman of the apocalypse (famine, drought, pestilence, the other one and then "lets drown many banding kids")

I have never seen so many parents running to a tourist shop to buy "Shakespeare's Birthplace" umbrella's (since the novel way of celebrating England's finest wordsmith was by putting his name on brollies and flogging them to daft American tourists at a tenner each!) ever!

Andy

Premier Travel Inn now open in Belfast - rooms from £55 per night

15. Sueperc

Sueperc New Member

Martin have you forgotten last year at Blenheim Palace when we ended up playing for a bridal party whilst they brushed the courtyard clear of water so the bride could get out! Sueperc:)

16. MartinT

MartinT Member

Sorry, that one was obviously washed from my memory :oops:

That was the most impressive thunderstorm I've seen in many years. I was effectively pinned down by the rain for an hour and a half at one end of the courtyard - to get to the other end where you were (200 yds or so) in that rain really wasn't an option.

Amazing, really, that we managed a massed band performance later in the afternoon!

17. persins

persins Member

Pinewalk bandstand job a couple of years ago!

The ts & cs meant that the band had to keep playing as long as someone was there listening and on one day it absolutely hammered down most of the day. One dedicated listener sat there in his deckchair in a waterproof coat throughout the first stint. It got so bad that the band even asked him to leave so we could shut the doors and give up for the day!!

It turns out that he wasn't the slightest bit interested in the band or the music but was there for a completely different reason anyway!!!

18. Di B

Di B Member

Only done one from memory that was worse than Newark postie and that was on the Whit Friday marches but the morning march (wakes)

The band manager did have cagools for all but fingers were like ice, rain was dripping off my nose :-(

I didn't like yesterday. I was surprised that the organiser didn't come over and tell us all to go to be honest.

On the bright side at least I had a Granny shawl to keep some rain from pouring down my neck though!

GrannyDi ;-)

19. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

What a talented Tractor - did it have a large repertoire ?
    - Wilkie

20. annmck

annmck Member

Bugle Band Contest about 5 or 6 years ago. I believe people had their jackets shrunk. It rained so much on the march back through the village my son had to stop at least 3 times and empty his Eb bass.
    I have even heard stories of the year the bands played on stage during a thunder storm!
    Usually we have lovely weather and it is really a great day out. We all got very sun burnt last year. Hope the weather is good this year.

21. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

going back to 1978 the band who i was with were playing at West Park Wolverhamton on a sunday afternoon(Well Should have played);
    We set out and it was real cats&dogs coming down got to the park and it was even bigger cats &dogs coming down :eek: .
    All of the band were there our conductor found the park keeper and said noway was the band going to play in this so we were going home ;we still got paid for it:biggrin:

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Notts Show
    Bestwood one
    Wettest Band Job
    Newark
    outdoor jobs