Weston-Super-Mare Rules

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by welshraz, May 18, 2006.

1. welshraz

welshraz Member

I need a little help with the rules that are in place for competing in Weston, more specifically if a conductor, who is registered with the competing band, can also play an instrument whilst conducting? Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Weston
    Weston-Super-Mare Rules
    competing band
    instrument
    place
  3. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

This is not mean't as a nasty comment but why would you enter a contest if your band was not upto playing the piece( and I don't mean in an ability way)if you require the conductor to play as well. Why did you not just borrow a player to put in that part or am I missing the point.

I wouldn't have thought you could do this but if it is possible then fair play to you

Good Luck

P.S. If the piece is written for the conductor to play as well What is the piece

4. welshraz

welshraz Member

It's a long story, but the short of it is that our usuall conductor is off the scene at present, so our percussionist is conducting.

5. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

I wouldn't have thought there would be a problem but if I was you I would speak to the
    contest controller:
    Mr Colin Rossiter
    Telephone: 01934 514960

6. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Not exactly sure of the rule here, but I am certain that there isn't a rule that says you must have a conductor. if a band wanted to risk playing a piece without an MD, then that I am sure, woudl be fine. So, if this were the case and say the band started falling apart during the performance, if a player then wanted to stand up and bring things back in line - this would be fine.

On that basis, I would argue there is no reason you should not be allowed to do what you want to do and use a person as a player and as the MD.

tMP is attending WSM this weekend to cover the event and all bands performances 'live' on the site - and so will try to contact Colin to get an answer for you.

7. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

Wow Excellent Tmp!!

8. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

I know!! it's well cool init! :biggrin:
    Chris

9. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

I'm impressed! tMP does live coverage.... for (if i'm not mistaken!) the first time and its in the SOUTH WEST!! :D:D:D its very exciting.... i'm really looking forward to Sunday! Should be a terrific day! and I wish people would stop saying its going to rain! Tis rubbish! It never rains in weston-super-mare!

10. matthetimp

matthetimp Member

I've been there once when it was rainning. Not really a plavce to when it raining. Not that much to do. Once in 7 years is a fair record mind!

11. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Weston
    Weston-Super-Mare Rules
    competing band
    instrument
    place