Weston-Super-Mare Own Choice Contest 2006

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Lisa, May 2, 2006.

1. Lisa

Lisa Member

The 38th Weston-Super-Mare Own Choice Brass Band contest will this year be held on Sunday 21st May at the Winter Gardens. The contest, stewarded by members of Weston Brass Band, is reputed to be one of the most efficient and well run brass band contests. The contest this year is kindly being sponsored by North Somerset Council and the organisers are grateful to them for this support.

The adjudicators will be Stan Lippeatt ( 3rd & 4th sections) and Steve Sykes (Championship/ 1st Combined & 2nd sections)

The competing bands are as follows:

Championship / 1st Combined Section:
    Draw time: 3:15pm

Abergavenney Borough
    Brackley and District
    Broseley Brass MK
    Forest of Dean Brass
    Kidlington Concert Brass
    Newbridge ( Celynen )

2nd Section:
    Draw time: 2:15pm

Lympstone South West Telecoms
    Phoenix Brass ( Crewkerne )
    Tylorstown Arriva Trains Wales

3rd Section:
    Draw time: 11:15am

Blaenavon Town
    Bratton Silver
    Gillingham Imperial Silver
    Leicestershire Co-op
    Malvern Hills and District
    Pillowell Silver
    Severn Tunnel
    South Molton Town

4th Section:
    Draw time: 8:45am

A.W.Parker ( Drybrook )
    Bream Silver
    Crosskeys Silver
    Hatherleigh Silver
    Newport Borough Brass
    Oakdale Silver
    Pontypool Brass
    Upper Rhondda Brass
    Verwood Concert Brass
    Wincanton Silver
    Winchcombe Concert Brass

Tickets are priced at £4.00 and are available on the day.

For further information please contact the contest controller:
    Mr Colin Rossiter
    Telephone: 01934 514960
    Last edited: May 4, 2006
  2. HSB

HSB Member

I'll be there cheering on Cross Keys in the 4th Section.

Go guys and gals....
  3. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

I'll be there - I can't wait!
  4. welshraz

welshraz Member

It's always an awesome day. Hope the weather is as good as last year, and I hope our placing is better (6th last year). Good luck to all but let the best band (us!) win!
  5. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

We'll be there, competing directly against Kidlington (almost local rivals) for the first time in quite a long while - should be fun !!
  6. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

I'll be there! :) 1st ever weston contest :) Tho obviously i was there in spirit last year when Lympstone won!
    Shame theres only four bands in our section tho?
  7. tam-tam2

tam-tam2 Member

I will be there playing in the Champ/First Section with The Rogerstone Band.

Let's hope the sun comes out!!:)
    Last edited: May 4, 2006
  8. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

I'll be there with Lympstone! :biggrin:
  9. alexandria

alexandria Member

Weston Contest

Just out of interest, what are the Prizes like?
  10. Liz Loftus

Liz Loftus Member

Looks like a pre Whit Friday Bash:biggrin: Perhaps we won't go on the coach so that we can stay and have a drink:tup Looks like Steve/Dad could be driving again!!!! (still working on the mini bus for June 9th guys, oops girls!! );)

We're there! hope we can improve on last years results - sadly we always seem to miss Dave our conductor at this one ... yes we do watch the beat occasionally! He's the compare for the day so doesn't feel its right, nor does he have the time to conduct us!!

Say hello if you see him! he'll think he's Mr Popular - which of course he is with us :biggrin:

TIMBONE Active Member

I would love to be there, (after all, Weston is where I grew up). Seems unlikely though, but you never know, maybe I will meet some of you tMP Southerners. My Dad will be there though, (the one in the gallery holding his medal from a recent music festival). If you see him, say "Hello Bill, I am from that computer thing that your son tells you about" - or words to that effect - it would make his day!
  12. BassBlaster

BassBlaster Member

I have always wondered why there isn`t a massive entry on all levels, Excellent place to warm up, play, good food, usually good weather, really, if you are going to do an extra contest during the year this is the one I would pick, in the south west.
  13. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

what the car park? :| we had our rehearsal in the carpark last year :tongue:

Looks like I'm going to meet lots of tMPers at weston then :D and properly meet others.... kelly and liz you have to come and talk to me this time! :tongue:

and Tim I will make it my top job of the day to go in search of your daddy! :D

14. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Even I'm thinking of coming along to heckle! (oops, I meant support). :)
  15. daveredhead

daveredhead Member

weston super mare own choice contest.

Hi all!! long time not on line, i will be there,to make up for me not being with you all at tMP Whit Fri. am in germany with another band,:( so going to make Westona good one, good luck to all and may the gods smile on us, (Gods of wine and music and weather) see you all
  16. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

Noooooooooo Fi the big hall placey where you get changed etc and can play as loud as you want!!!! (without being told off!!) :biggrin: :biggrin:
    I shall be there again this year with Portishead! PLaying a lovely little test piece that i'd love to tell you all but cant! :tongue:
  17. sugarandspice

You bet ya! Just please don't make Charlie cry this time! :)
  18. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

LOL! :tongue: how was I supposed to know he was guna cry! and some other Lympstone bloke kissed me which was a bit scarey! .... hmmm nothing like a bloke that shows his emotions!

Its only a couple of weeks away now :D We're going up on the coach and dad's going to pick us up after so we can stay later than 5pm and drink in the bar and play crazy golf (at then of the pier Christopher Hicks!!!) :D:D:D:D
  19. Looking forward to this - first time we've been there for a while, hope the performance is better than at Ebbw Vale.
    Out of curiousity, HSB who are you? It's nice to know we've got supporters!!
    Just hope Stan Lippeatt gives us the same result as he did in Coleford back in Feb when we won Section 'C'. :biggrin:
  20. sugarandspice

oooh, i'm looking forward to it now :)

What time are the results usually?