Weston Super Mare contest

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Gazabone, May 19, 2013.

1. Gazabone

Gazabone Member

Any results yet folks?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Weston Super Mare
    results
  3. matt_BBb_bass

matt_BBb_bass Member

St Keverne won 2nd section iv herd mate! and Paul Villers pick up soloist prize!

4. All4Brass

All4Brass Member

5. katieeuph

katieeuph Member

Pontypool Brass won the 3rd Section with 'Land of the Long White Cloud'. Mid Rhondda 2nd and Bratton Silver 3rd. Lympstone 3rd in Champ/1st section but not sure about others.

6. tsawyer

tsawyer Member

7. katieeuph

katieeuph Member

I'm pretty sure Lympstone played Journey into Freedom but not sure about the others.

8. Yoofman

Yoofman Member

Sandhurst won the contest yesterday, playing Philip Sparke's 'Tallis Variations'.

Verwood played Prisms, and Hyde performed 'Purcell Variations'. Hope that helps a bit ...

Steve

9. davethehorny

davethehorny Member

AW Parker (Drybrook) played Oceans

10. simonium

simonium Member

Pendennis Brass played Trittico by James Curnow.

11. Lucindagough

Lucindagough New Member

Blaenavon Town Band played Plantagenet’s, but were unfortunately disqualified.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Weston Super Mare
    results
  13. cockaigne

cockaigne Member

That's a turnup for the books! Any news on the disqualification, or was the reason not announced?

14. Lucindagough

Lucindagough New Member

We (Blaenavon) and I understand a few other bands, including an English band were caught out on the change of ruling for this competition. We only discovered this when on the bus en route to Weston Sunday morning. The rule being you can only play for one band on the day of the competition, therefore not allowing any other band to borrow another player who had played that day.

We had arranged to borrow a soprano player from Pontypool band (a lower section band), we had borrowed and had played the same person with us in a local competition the day before without any issues.

We made our position clear in the draw that we had no other option but to play the player as after all he was a “key” player and we did not have time to arrange an alternative. I understand the other bands chose not to take this route.

We therefore went on stage knowing we would be disqualified but, having traveled down from South Wales to the competition with a bus of family and supporters and felt this was the only option.

Disappointing to say the least but we did what we went to do, play our test piece to the best of our ability.

On a personal note I do not understand who this new ruling is to benefit as it will now surely question any bands attendance to a competition whereby you can’t borrow from another band playing on the day. Bands are up against it enough ensuring they have enough players to attend, why put more obstacles in the way!

15. katieeuph

katieeuph Member

I agree-it did seem a really strange new rule. I think it was the right decision to go on and play anyway, knowing you would be disqualified. Better that than go on without a sop, not give a good performance and everyone come of stage demoralised! Well done anyway, Blaenavon!

16. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

I agree it seems a strange rule (you'd like to think contest organisers want to make it easier for bands to take part, not harder), but I also don't think its fair to SWBBA to complain about it being a 'new' one - a very quick look at the website shows that rule clearly stated in the schedule for the November contest last year, and presumably it was also in the schedule for this one?

17. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

I've added a note to the relevant entry on brassbandresults documenting this. Does seem a strange thing to legislate against, it's true. I wonder if it was introduced in response to a specific situation that had occurred previously? "Hard cases make bad law" as they say.

18. Lucindagough

Lucindagough New Member

Thanks, i will update you with how many points we had as i cant remember off the top of my head right now. I agree, a very strange one, think it will certainly put off bands crossing the boarder to compete in competitions if they are short of a player!

19. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

We (or at least I) do try to list a reason for every disqualification we run across, where known. I don't know about everybody else, but the first thought that comes to mind when I see a disqualification listed is "I wonder what happened there". If we don't write these things down, they will simply be forgotten.

20. IanHeard

IanHeard Member

Soundhouse played Suite Gothique , and conducted by John Maines.

21. gptrom

gptrom New Member

Fourth section

1 South Molton ...... Gill Taylor ...... Devon Fantasy
    2 Corsham......
    3 Tiverton Town ..... Dave Boorer ....... Four Cities Symphony

Best Soloist ....Tina Pillivant ........ Principal Cornet ......... Tiverton Town

22. simonium

simonium Member

Dewi Griffiths is a busy man too - he was there brandishing a cornet for some band in the Championship / 1st Section - not a bad emergency player to call upon.