Westoe Band release debut recording

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by geordiecolin, Sep 21, 2005.

1. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

1st Section Westoe Band (in partnership with South Tyneside NHS Foundation Trust) from South Shields in the North East have released their debut recording "Beyond the Colliery". The CD is a celebration of the progress the band has made since the closure of Westoe Colliery in 1993. The CD features a wide range of music including local folk songs, film music, a test piece and other contemporary and popular pieces, reflecting the vitality of the band at the current time and also the band's rich heritage that includes a British Open win in 1919.

The CD is available through the band's website at http://www.westoeband.co.uk and should be available shortly at 4barsrest. The CD will also feature in a worldwide podcast on http://www.brasscast.com

Postage will be available to overseas customers and CDs cost £10.50 each (+ p&p)

Westoe Band present

Beyond The Colliery:

1. Gresford
    2. Let's Face The Music And Dance
    3. Amazing Grace
    4. Virtuosity
    5. Water Of Tyne
    6. Punchinello
    7. I'll Walk With God
    8. Lauduate Dominum
    9. On My Own
    10. Pastime With Good Company
    11. Erin Shore
    12. Batman
    13. Benedictus
    14. Music
    15. American Trilogy

Musical Director: Steve Malcolm
    Executive Producer: Jason Smith
    Project Manager: Keith Nicholson

P.S I think it has some of the best artwork to appear on a brass band cd.
    P.P.S Buy it cos I'm on it.

2. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

I'm getting one - it's a fab line up.

3. geordiecolin

The review of this fine recording is now available on 4barsrest

It gets a generally favourable review and there are no unreasonable comments in my view. Although I did find the comment about editing and balance interesting. I personally believe that the honesty of the CD is one of its strengths.

For anyone who is interested, the answer to the question Mr Fox poses regarding Water of Tyne is "about half a mile (if that)"

The CD is selling well and also recently received a good review from the Morning Star paper. Read into that what you will.....

4. zuzanna

zuzanna New Member

I have my copy already!
    In fact I have had it for about a month. If anyone round sheffield wants to try before they buy let me know and i might lend you my copy!
    It's always good to play Batman on a sunday morning when you know your neighbours are hungover.

5. geordiecolin

I will hopefully have a number of copies with me to sell at Pontins.. £10 each! I'm easy to spot, I'll be the drunk one in the corner......