West Yorkshire Band plays major part at Royal Event

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by Trumpet Major, May 21, 2008.

1. Trumpet Major

Trumpet Major Member

The Princess Royal visited the Fire Service Monument at the National Memorial Arboretum yesterday to unveil the new monument.
    The monument, "Firefighters Serving Humanity" is granite stone and has been two years in the making.

The unveiling ceremony was attended by chief fire officers from across the country and the guests of honour were the families of firefighters who had lost their lives whilst serving.

Gerry Clarkson, chairman of the Firefighters Memorial Charitable Trust, said: "The trust is delighted that their patron Her Royal Highness the Princess Royal has agreed to unveil the monument which recognises the dedication and skills of the men and women serving in the Fire and Rescue Service."

Alongside this appeared the massed bands of West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service, West Midlands Fire Service Band and The West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service Pipes and Drums which created not only a spectacular visual effect resplendent in scarlet tunics but also performed musically to great effect and with superb control on such an important and emotive occasion.

Many people in attendance said that the bands made a superb contrubution to the event and also commented on the outstanding West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service Brass Quintet which performed for Princess Anne during her meet and greet in the VIP Marquee.

For more information about the Firefighters Memorial Charitable Trust, visit www.firefightersmemorial.co.uk
    For more information about the West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service Band, visit www.wyfrsband.com

2. Trumpet Major

Trumpet Major Member

Further to my last posting, I would like to add that a very important part was played in the massed bands and also in the organisation of this event by the Ceremonial Unit of the Devon and Somerset Fire Service.

The Last Post and Reveille was sounded by the Buglers of this organisation in the time honoured fashion and with the appropriate dignity, respect and presence whilst remaining unobtrusive and professional.

The bands were led skillfully as always by Drum/Maj Ian Washburn, also of Devon and Somerset Ceremonial Unit who's commanding presence and knowledge of ceremony was commented on by many bystanders and fire service personnel alike.

For details of contacting this ceremonial unit or any of the bands who can add kudos and flair to any occasion, please contact me and I will send the appropriate details.