West Yorks Concert Band Seeks Brass

Discussion in 'Recruitment Corner' started by WYFRSband, Aug 20, 2005.

1. WYFRSband

WYFRSband New Member

West Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Service Band - Vacancies.

Edit: For current vacancies, see towards the end of this thread

There is only a month to go before musicians can get a chance to rehearse with the all-new WYFRSband! Over the summer the band has had a restructure and this has led to a number of new and exciting opportunities within the band! There are vacancies for brass, woodwind and percussion musicians of a very good standard to join us at our first rehearsal on the 12th September 2005.

This is a military style concert band which performs at a variety of settings such as race courses, prestigious Fire & Rescue Service engagements, galas, carnivals, static concerts infact, anywhere and everywhere! As well as being a concert band, we also perform a small number of marches through the year (No previous experience is needed!)

We play a wide variety of music to suit all tastes and styles. As a military concert band, we do NOT take part in competitions. This is a friendly and very sociable band with weekly visits to a local pub after practice! We often get together for mock race nights and parties!

The band has played at the Royal Albert Hall and plans to produce a CD and take part in a tour in Europe in the near future.

Our Musical Director, Group Manager (Hon) Mr. Thomas Milford BA (Mus) LRSM is widely experienced and knowledgeable and makes rehearsals very rewarding. He was until 2001, Band Master of HM Coldstream Guards Band.

We rehearse on a Monday 19.30-22.00 at Birkenshaw just off the A58. Near Jct 26 of the M62.

Musicians must be of Associated Board grade 6 or equivalent and able to give a good level of commitment to rehearsals and engagements. Places are subject to audition but this won't be too scary!.

For more information contact the Band Manager (Kevin Fisher) on 07768 261302 or email me at bandleader@wyfrsband.com

Really hope to see you soon,
    Take care
    :hi

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2008
  2. WYFRSband

WYFRSband New Member

Deputy Conductor needed - West Yorkshire

Hello,

The West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service Band has a vacancy for a deputy conductor for this military style concert wind Band.

The sucessful applicant will work along side Group Manager (Hon) Tom Milford BA (Mus) LRSM who is the Musical Director, to take rehearsals and concerts as requested. They shall also be a playing member in some format to keep up to speed with band events. They should have a good understanding of wind instruments as well as brass and a good manner with people.

The job involves 2.5 hours per week when needed, plus concerts as needed. They shall be paid for any work done in the role of Deputy Conductor, but not for playing within the band.

Anyone interested in finding out more, please contact me.

3. WYFRSband

WYFRSband New Member

Where have all the trumpets gone?

The West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service Band seeks TRUMPETS, TRUMPETS, TRUMPETS! Principal trumpet/cornet grade 7 or 8 and other front row trumpet/cornets grade 6 or above, required for fine concert wind band. This prestigious band is conducted by Tom Milford BA Mus LRSM. Also vacancies for FRENCH HORN. Rehearsals Monday 19.30-22.00

If you are dedicated and willing to commit to the band, email the Bandleader at steady999@hotmail.com or phone Bandleader Charlotte Stead on 07946 616910. This is a friendly band with a good practice room atmosphere. Just 5 mins from Jct 26 M62

Thank you

4. Mr Malone

Mr Malone Member

Come on, all you cornet or trumpet players! This is a very rare opportunity to join one of the best concert bands in Yorkshire. We have excellent rehearsals (Monday 7.30-10.00pm), with our own band facilities at the H.Q. of West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue (Birkenshaw), which is 15 minutes from Leeds/Wakefield/Huddersfield. Our engagements are high profile and musically rewarding. This is a well-supported and well-managed Band, which offers musical direction of the highest standard.

Limited vacancies exist in our brass section, particularly for a good standard cornet/trumpet, and an experienced French horn player. See WWW.WYFRSband.com for contact details.

Anthony Malone
    Principal Euphonium / Brass Section Leader
    The Band of West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service

5. WYFRSband

WYFRSband New Member

Thanks Anthony,

Seems like its just you and me here buddy.

Charlotte

6. WYFRSband

WYFRSband New Member

Front row cornets needed! (Bradford)

I know this is a brass band forum, but I am looking for cornet/trumpet players for the West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service 'Concert' Band! We currently have brass band players who play with us regularly, and we are looking for some more.

Due to two long term members of the band leaving, we now have an exciting opportunity for 2 cornet/trumpet players to join! We are located just off junction 26 of the M62. We have thirty plus talented musicians within the band who offer a very warm welcome to any new members - there is no possessiveness over stand position in this band! We have a good list of engagements for 2006 with the plan to do a CD and overseas tour in 2007.

Our MD is Tom Milford (ex Bandmaster HM Coldstream Guards). Rehearsals are fun, yet fulfilling and sometimes quite exhausting! (We provide tea/coffee and biscuits for that all important mid rehearsal breather!) We rehearse on a Monday night from 7.30pm-10.00pm. If you are interested in coming along, then please contact me for an informal chat (07946 616910). Thank you.

7. Mr Malone

Mr Malone Member

www.WYFRSband.com

The Band of West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service are currently recruiting the following:

First-class cornet or trumpet players (Principal position may be available)
    EEb Bass (treble or bass clef readers)
    Versatile percussionist

The Band of WYFRS is one of Yorkshire’s most prestigious concert/military bands. We are directed by Mr. Tom Milford BA (Muss) L.R.S.M., late Bandmaster of The Band of HM Coldstream Guards. The Band is currently planning a C.D. recording, and an overseas tour, for 2007. We have a good list of engagements for 2006/7, which includes prestigious concerts in West Yorkshire, as well as marching and ceremonial engagements (full training will be provided).

Rehearsals take place on Monday evenings, 7.30pm-10.00pm, in the training centre at West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service H.Q., at Birkenshaw, just off the A58 Whitehall Rd, close to Ikea Leeds, and within easy access of M62 (junction 26).

Please contact:

Anthony Malone
    Section Leader
    apmalone@tiscali.co.uk
    07984 971162

8. Mr Malone

Mr Malone Member

Cornet or Trumpet required for The Band of West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service

www.WYFRSband

…require a first-class cornet or trumpet player. A vacancy has arisen in the cornet/trumpet section of this prestigious concert Band. Overseas tour and C.D. recording planned for 2007; plus a number of high status concerts. We rehearse on Monday evenings 7.30-10.00pm, at the H.Q. of West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue (Birkenshaw, close to IKEA Leeds). Possible principal position for the right musician.

Please contact:

Anthony Malone
    apmalone@tiscali.co.uk
    07984 971162

9. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Ello - My name is Valhallah Ponsonby-Smythe.
    I haf good intentenz to play as your Strumpet in de Fire Boys Bugle Corps.
    Great experience am I of plenty.
    I waz lead strumpet for a lot off times mit de Ober Kapelle of de KipKaziKorps.
    I am also of goodness at putting out der flammen.
    One time in town called Okley, my freund unt I had bin out hafink a few of der steiner off beer.
    I was smoking my pipe and some hot ashen set fire to hiz trouzers as we walked down der Strasse.
    With quick thinkz I sprayed him mit liquid and doused der flammen.
    I am sure he was grateful altho he did not seem too happy at the time.
    Hoping I am sure to be pleasing of your band mit playing with soon.
    I haf to go now unt lap in my valves mit der grinding paste.
    Your ole pal,
    - Val

10. Mr Malone

Mr Malone Member

Thank you Ian for your usual mix of insanity and humour. Can I presume that you wish to apply for the position of principal cornet with The Band of west Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service? We are looking for a musician of the highest standards, Grade 8 or equivalent, and with a burning ambition to join the premier concert Band in Yorkshire. Now, I wonder if your 20 years of playing at the Bier Keller in Blackpool; 3 seasons with 'Shep's Banjo Boys' playing the intro to Granada TV’s 'The Comedian’s; or your brief sojourn as principal sousaphone with Billy Smart's Circus will qualify you for my advertised position. Or maybe the vision of you being chased by a rather camp Blackpool landlord at 2.30am, down the Promenade, wearing nothing but your Union Jack underpants and a single black onyx earring (c. November 1996), will be enough to warrant your immediate elimination from the list of candidates?

Your friend in insanity.....

Tony

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    WYFRSband
    Thomas Milford BA
    Band Manager
  12. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

How time blurs the recollections old chum !
    I think you'll find that the gent being pursued down the Prom in his patriotic underwear was actually the good Dr S. the much vaunted sub Principal 2nd Cornet of those times.
    I myself was safely tucked up in my dugs (Sorry "Digs")
    As always, never let the truth get in the way of a good story.
    The double act has lost none of its sparkle !!
    - Ian
    OK OK Mods, I know, back on track now.

13. Mr Malone

Mr Malone Member

Cornet players in Leeds/Bradford/Huddersfield area

The Band of West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service are still seeking one ore two quality cornet players to complete a full line-up. This prestigious concert/wind band offers:

 Quality rehearsal facilities, in our purpose-built bandroom
     Full uniforms and training for ceremonial duties
     Top-class engagements, including a European tour in 2007
     C.D. recording planned for the very near future
     A very friendly and sociable band
     Playing quality music at a very high level
     Musical direction by Mr Tom Milford, previously Bandmaster of H.M. Coldstream Guards Band

For further details, please contact:

Anthony Malone – 0113 2841028 apmalone@tiscali.co.uk

Or

www.WYFRSband.com

14. Mr Malone

Mr Malone Member

Cornet and Bass players required

www.WYFRSband.com

The Band of West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service are currently recruiting the following:

First-class cornet or trumpet players (Principal position may be available)
    EEb Bass (treble or bass clef readers)
    Versatile percussionist

The Band of WYFRS is one of Yorkshire’s most prestigious concert/military bands. We are directed by Mr. Tom Milford BA (Mus) L.R.S.M., former Bandmaster of The Band of HM Coldstream Guards. The Band is currently planning a C.D. recording, and an overseas tour, for 2007. We have a balanced list of quality engagements, which includes prestigious concerts in West Yorkshire, as well as marching and ceremonial engagements (full training will be provided).

Rehearsals take place on Monday evenings, 7.30pm-10.00pm, in the training centre at West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service H.Q., at Birkenshaw, just off the A58 Whitehall Rd, close to Ikea Leeds, and within easy access of M62 (junction 26).

For further details, please contact:

Anthony Malone
    Section Leader
    apmalone@tiscali.co.uk
    07984 971162

15. Mr Malone

Mr Malone Member

Tuba required: Leeds/Bradford area

www.WYFRSband.com

…are on the lookout for a quality Tuba player, to join Yorkshire’s top concert/wind Band. We rehearse on Monday evenings at the H.Q. of West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service (Birkenshaw, nr IKEA Leads). Top quality engagements this year include a visit to Belgium, a CD recording, and several high-profile concerts. Full rehearsals, a band of high-quality musicians, and first-class Direction by Mr Tom Milford (ex Bandmaster of HM Coldstream Guards).

This is a very rare opportunity to be part of an ambitious, quality Band. For further details, please contact:

Anthony Malone
    apmalone@tiscali.co.uk

or via PM

16. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

You're missing .com from your link, Anthony.

17. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Sorted... :tup

18. Mr Malone

Mr Malone Member

www.WYFRSband.com

...still require a quality Tuba player, for this prestigious wind/concert Band. All applications to:

Anthony Malone
    apmalone@tiscali.co.uk

or via PM

19. Hilary Mateer

Hilary Mateer Member

When are you going to Belgium?

20. Mr Malone

Mr Malone Member

Hi Hilary;

WE are going to Belgium to play at the Manheim Gate, and at a couple of concerts and march parades, from Friday 9th November, through to Monday 12th. Remembrance Sunday coincides with Armistice Day this year, so that day will be the main focus of our tour.

Hope this helps.......

Tony Malone

21. Mr Malone

Mr Malone Member

The Band of West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service:

Please see the last post in this thread to see our latest requirement

The Band of West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service are currently seeking a new Director of Music, to replace Mr. Tom Milford, who is relocating to the south of England. Applicants should have the ability to continue to develop the band at the highest level. The Musical Director works for, and on behalf of, the management team of the Band of the West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service. The role includes:

Preparing the Band for concerts, marches and other events;

Preparing the music and programmes for such events;

Liaising with the Band Manager and Band Leader regarding engagements;

Liaising with the deputy musical director when his assistance is needed;

Auditioning prospective new members of the band;

Arranging and rehearsing marching displays where necessary;

The Management Team are looking for a dynamic individual to fill this role. Prospective candidates should be inspiring in rehearsals and also be captivating to an audience. They should have excellent musical knowledge preferably with both brass and woodwind and ideally have a military background - although this is not essential.

The position attracts a negotiable quarterly retainer. The MD also has an annual music budget, the support of a deputy M.D. and the attention and support of a fantastic group of musicians.

In the first instance, interested parties should contact:

Anthony Malone
    apmalone@tiscali.co.uk

Or via the Band website:
    www.wyfrsband.com (follow the link to Vacancies, where there is an online application form)

All applicants will have their application acknowledged.

Many thanks;

Anthony Malone
    Principal Euphonium

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2007
  22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    WYFRSband
    Thomas Milford BA
    Band Manager