West Side Story

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by stevetrom, Mar 23, 2008.

1. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

We have an arrangement of West Side Story arranged by ?? Wright but I am sure I have played/heard or heard on a CD a better (IMHO) version, does anyoneknow of any other arrangements that are available?

2. jim

jim Member

There was I think an Eric Crees arrangment which was recorded by Desford in the 80's also I think part of it was recorded on one of the Essential Dyke recordings. I can only imagine that this arrangment has not been made publisc on a wide scale I know that copyright from Bernsteins estate is very hard to get and also a rumour that the original copy's of the arrangement were burnt? dont know if that is correct?

I ust admit the Wright arrangment is a bit old fashioned.

3. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

The Crees version (taken from his LSO Brass version) was done illegally :mad: and Studio Music have been trying to get permission to publish it for at least 10 years to my knowledge !!

There are all sorts of copyright problems with it. For example, the music from the show WSS and the Symphonic Dances which Bernstein wrote later have two different copyright holders. The Crees version uses bits of both.

It's worth speaking to Studio but don't hold your breath.

4. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

There's another version that done with a specific permission set as to what can be done with it by Gareth Pritchard. Ir's been played by Eikanger amongst others.

It's not available on general release, though AFAIK.