West Side Story - Eric Crees

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by DublinBass, Jul 23, 2005.

1. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Does anybody have any details on where to purchase Eric Crees arrangement of "Symphonic Dances from West Side Story." Or is it one of the pieces that are out of print and I would have to find a band to lend it?

I think Desford has recorded it, and I may have played it when depping with Redbridge last Autumn, but before I search out my only two (faint) leads...I thought I'd try the power of tMP.

Any info would be useful.

2. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Eric Crees' arrangement was done for symphonic brass ensemble and is currently only available (at extortionate rates) for hire. I'm afraid I can't remember who from.
    I don't know the brass band re-arrangement, but I am sure that Eric would be the man to find out the information from - he is in the MU book.

3. DublinBass

Thanks Mike...what is the MU book?

4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

5. DublinBass

Thanks Tom!!

Hopefully, that'll take care of all the questions.

6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... not quite! I had a look at the Boosey site and although there are loads of arrangements from West Side Story, there are none for the Crees. On another thread on tMP, Chappell & Co. was quoted from one of the band parts, but again ... no joy! :frown:

... good news in a sort of related way, ... the discontinued London Symphony Brass CD with the original ensemble version looks like it has been repackaged for sale ... one of the best brass CDs of all time in my humble opinion! :p

http://www.regisrecords.co.uk/regisrecords/Alpha/RRC1209.html

7. Robin Norman

Robin Norman Member

Eric Crees did make a Brass Band version for Desford which they recorded (under Snell I think).

As I understand it the arrangement was licensed for many years for that 'one-off' but, as is usual, this hasn't stopped tonnes of bands from getting a copy and performing it (including Stavanger at the Open last year and YBS more recently).

I know that Studio have been waiting on copyright approval from the Bernsteinn Estate for many years to publish it officially in co-operation with Boosey and Hawkes and we all hope that they get it. However the estate is notoriously slow so I wouldn't hold your breath.

Unfortunately until the point it is published the arrangement remains unauthorised for general use and the only way to get it is by copying from another band. However doing that, or performing it un-licensed, would be a breach of copyright law. (not that this seems to stop some bands)

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... Eric Crees conducted Desford for that 1998 album, 'Bach To Bernstein'. And I think you are right regarding obtaining special permission from the Bernstein Estate for a performance licence.

9. dyl

dyl Active Member

Spooky how this thread appears today!

The LSO Brass recording is also available on iTunes - I downloaded it yesterday - and yes - it's an awesome recording.

10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

.... and I still feel that the 'Prelude, Fugue & Riffs' is so classy, as with the performance too! Much more dynamic and purposeful than Simon Rattle's recording with the London Sinfonietta.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Eric Crees
    West Side Story
    Symphonic Dances
    Desford
    Eric Crees arrangement
  12. Steve Marcus

Steve Marcus Member

So is there a published brass band arrangement of that piece?

13. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... not as far as I know, but I would see Ray Farr being interested in this sort of work for band (... he's caught me out before with John Adam's 'Short Ride In A Fast Machine' which I didn't know was arranged for band)

14. Robin Norman

Robin Norman Member

Only the old Denis Wright one as far as I know.

The problem is that whoever wants to do one they will hit the same problem as Studio are on the Crees version. IMP wanted to publish the Mark Freeh 'Tonight' but fell foul of the delays. We're probably all better off just staying clear.

15. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

which is a great shame as with all of Mark's charts, it's a great arrangement!
    For me, Mark Freeh is one of the most talented arrangers for Bass Band.