West Side Story Eric Crees

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by tromtaff, Jan 7, 2005.

1. tromtaff

tromtaff New Member

Can anyone tell me where I can obtain a score and parts for the Eric Crees brass band arrangment of West Side Story.

many thanks

Keith

Rayleigh Brass

2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I've only seen the Eric Crees' arrangement of the Symphonic Dances from 'West Side Story' existing in manuscript form. However, he did conduct the dances with Desford in the 1998 recording 'Bach To Bernstein'. Maybe the band may help in securing score/parts.

3. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

To be honest i think you will struggle to get them as they are COPYRIGHT.

4. Jonno

Jonno Member

Strictly speaking this arrangement remains unauthorised and, hence, ilegal at the present time.

This means that, strictly speaking, no band should be playing it although we all know that copied manuscripts are making the rounds.

That said I do know that Studio Music are awaiting copyright permission from the Bernstein estate to officially release the work and as such, hopefully for the benefit of all of us, it will be available soon in a fully published format. However don't hold your breath waiting for it; Studio have now, so they tell me, been waiting for a response for well over 2 years and are still waiting.

5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I wonder if permission was granted for Eric Crees' ensemble arrangement of West Side Story? Only certain movements were attributed to (different) publishers from the suite (Mambo, Maria/Cha-Cha, America, & Cool/Fugue). It was first performed by the London Symphony Brass at the Barbican in 1983 and recorded on the 1991 Collins CD celebrating American composers. During the '80s, Bernstein was working with the LSO with Eric Crees as a member of the orchestra. The score and parts are avaiable for rental only. By the way, he (Eric Crees) conducted as recently as 31/10/04 his arrangement of the Suite.

http://info.royaloperahouse.org/Orchestra/Index.cfm?ccs=476

6. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

7. Adrian Horn

Adrian Horn Member

Yes, Eric got permission directly from Leonard Bernstein himself, because of their LSO links.

LSO Brass CD with it on is one every player should have in there collection.

8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... I'm surprised Eric Crees didn't mention that in his sleevenotes for the CD, as he did about the Copland work 'El Salon Mexico'. My favourite is Bernstein's 'Prelude, Fugue & Riffs'. So fresh sounding compared to others (e.g., Simon Rattle's 1987 recording with London Sinfonietta).

9. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Yes - Eric did get permission for his arrangement.
    No - you can't purchase it, it is only available for hire.

Fantastic arrangement:D

10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... then, why is the clearance for the band version from the Bernstein Estate taking so long? Are all his works under the eye of their publishers & lawyers?

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    West Side Story
    Eric Crees
    anyone
    brass band arrangment
    thanks
  12. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

Studio Music are in the process of publishing this arrangement.

Speak to Stan Kitchen on 0208 830 0110

13. jim

jim Member

There is a very good recording of this arrangment on the Desfored 1986 tape 'showcase' Featuring many other snell peices is it possible to by this on cd now days as a remaster?

14. tromtaff

tromtaff New Member

West Side Story

Studio Music don't think they will be publishing it for some time as they can't get permission.

Someone mentioned that it's available for hire.Does anyone know where we can hire it from