West Midlands Association Contest 2008 (Leamington Spa)

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by mjwarman, Apr 10, 2008.

1. mjwarman

mjwarman Member

Does anyone know the official dates for this contest? I know that it is at the end of November sometime, but have been told that it is on the same day as Brass in Concert, I hope not as I already have my tickets!!! :clap:

Any info would be great

2. postie

postie Member

The contest takes place on Sunday the 23rd of November. It takes place a week after brass in concert.
  3. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

I think the Brass in Concert clashes with the Leicester Contest which is on the 16th November.
  4. mjwarman

mjwarman Member

Great thanks for that, what a relief!!!
  5. BassBlaster

BassBlaster Member

Hopefully the bar will stay open later this year, it`s a great contest. Nice day out on the coach.
  6. m.f.cooper

m.f.cooper Member

The bar at Leamington does seem to close rather early. You'll have to re-locate to the Wetherspoons nearby... ;-)
  7. BassBlaster

BassBlaster Member

Ah yes the weatherspoons, we would retire there, but we take a whole coachload of bandsmen with their familys, we make a day of it you see.
    And Weatherspoons with familys don`t mix, whilst a large bar in the hall allows us all to mix and have a nice time before we sing our way home.
    We used to do it in the late 70s and 80s, did it last year and hope the bar stays open just one hour longer.
    I will serve behind the bar if you like!!!!!!!!.
  8. Baritonedeaf

Baritonedeaf Member

Super contest, cannot wait.
  9. Nick Wilson

Nick Wilson Member

Any room for one more??

Went to the contest last year to listen and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I play for a band that is not registered with the National Brass Band Association. We are looking to start entering some more contests and thought the Leamington contest might be a good one.

A few questions then;

- is the contest open to bands that are not registered nationally?

- do you have to be registered with a regional association to enter?

- don't think there is an 'unregistered' category so would be simply compete in the fourth section?

- what sort of pieces of music are bands competing in the fourth section playing?

- does anyone have the contact details for the organiser?

Whilst i;m here, does anyone know of any other contests that may be suitable for my band.

10. LynneW

LynneW Member

Bands that aren't registered witn an association or nationally can enter the 4th Section at Leamington. Last year's programme gives Keith Hemming as Contest Secretary but no contact details, however it gives Greta Russell as General Secretary - telephone (024)76442701. I'm sure she could put you in touch with keith and give you any other information you require.

As your location is given as Banbury I presume the band you play with are probably located somewhere in Oxfordshire or just on the border, in which case the Oxfordshire & District Brass Band Association usually organise an entertainment contest in October which unregistered bands play in, although it's a small contest it would get you "into" contesting.
  11. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Should be up for Leamington again this year, and not playing for once!
  12. Nick Wilson

Nick Wilson Member

Thanks for that. Yeah, we have taken part in the Oxford and District Brass Band contest. It will be interesting to pitch ourselves against some registered bands to get an idea of the level we are playing at.
  13. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

OK then with 7 weeks to go to this contest.
    What bands are going /Who is playing
  14. beccawheeze2

beccawheeze2 Member

Cubbington Silver will be there, it's on our doorstep, it would be rude not to.
  15. Sueperc

Sueperc New Member

Wantage Silver B Band will be there.
  16. postie

postie Member

Bestwood are going 1st time the band has played at Leamington.
  17. Baldeagle

Baldeagle Member

Carlton Brass will be there in the 1st Section
  18. backrowbloke

backrowbloke Member

All, The issue with the bar closing early has been raised with the hall staff I believe. Greta and Barbera (the contest controllers) were not aware of this. Similarly with the noise fromthe kitchens in the hall.
    Gary (WMBBA)
  19. astreet83

astreet83 Member

I think we are going (Blidworth) 1st sec
  20. ex carlton main

ex carlton main New Member

Yes our md says we are going so I'd best get practising
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2008