West Lothian Festival of Music Contest

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Steve Nicoll, Jun 27, 2005.

1. Steve Nicoll

Steve Nicoll Member

Results from final held on 26th June at the Howden Park Centre, Livingston

Winners :- Newtongrange Silver
    Runners-Up : Unison Kinneil

Semi-Final Runners-Up : Broxburn & Livingston, Bo'ness & Carriden, Dalmellington, Kingdom Brass

Best Soloist :- Alex Philip (Trombone, Newtongrange) - Autumn Leaves arr. Geldard
    Best Sectional Feature :- Trombones, Newtongrange - It's Alright With Me arr. Brevik
    Best Overture :- Unison Kinneil - Peterloo Overture
    Most Entertaining Perfomance :- Semi-Final 1 : Newtongrange, Semi-Final 2 : Dalmellington
  2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... who were the judges this year?
  3. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Semi-finals - Brian Allen

Final - Alan Morrison

Bruce Fraser adjudicated the overture, solo and ensemble prizes.

The preview article and results can be found on the SBBA website
  4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Thanks for that, John! Glad to see the SBBA site back up and running (... did you have any part in this?), :)
  5. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Just a little. I got a load of photos last night and I intend to do an "in pictures" retrospective. I also want to give some of the photos to the competing bands for their own websites. Have to fiddle with some of them in photoshop to correct the colour balance first. Keep checking back for updates.
  6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

erm, ... I was referring mainly to the resurrection of the site! It's been inactive for quite a long time! But it was strange how muted the online sites have been about the Challenge this year. Quite varied programmes both bands played in the final and did Mr. McCann lead Kinneil?
  7. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Phillip McCann played at fourth man down.
  8. Anyone surprised by the result? I was! I don't know that much about brass band contests etc but I do know that Kinneil played a far more entertaining programme on Sunday night. Anyone else agree/disagree?
  9. kevs67

kevs67 New Member

Funny that. People I spoke to said otherwise. Ahh - Contests - don't you just love them!
  10. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Can't agree there. I think that Newtongrange on that form were going to be a very hard act to follow. As for entertainment, I would put Newtongrange ahead there too. For my tastes I thought that the "Tubby the Tuba" item was a bit too corny for a contest stage; a great item for a concert but perhaps not for the contest stage. Both bands played very well and Kinneil thoroughly deserved the overture award as they really put feeling into "Peterloo Overture". My appreciation of that item was heightened by Andrew Duncans introduction of it, exlaining the story behind the work.
  11. cornetcheese

cornetcheese Member

I must agree with John - for me (and most of the people I was sitting with in the contest) Newtongrange were streets ahead in entertainment and general level of performance. This is mainly because they were on excellent form with a superb programme which was very well presented and was always going to be very difficult to follow.

Congratulations to Nitten as well as Alex for picking up the soloist prize - completely deserved, he is a sublime player! I did have Nitten's overture ahead of the Kinneil performance of Peterloo, but then that's what makes contesting interesting!
  12. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

I just felt that Newtongrange's performance of Ruslan & Ludmilla was a little too scrappy at the start. It certainly improved towards the end but overall I felt that it was their weakest item in the whole program.
  13. cornetcheese

cornetcheese Member

Yeah, I agree there, I noticed a lot of scrappiness in the upper cornet lines, but I didn't enjoy Peterloo so much - although I must admit Andy Duncan's introduction was very good at setting the scene. I just thought there was a much higher quality of sound, balance and tuning with Nitten generally, even in their overture.