West Lothian Challenge Final

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Steve Nicoll, Jun 28, 2004.

1. Steve Nicoll

Steve Nicoll Member

Congratulations to Whitburn on winning the West Lothian Challenge Final last night.

Naturally dissapointed to not win ourselves but we were beaten by a class band that was better on the night - but that's banding. However I personally enjoyed our performance which belied the lack of preparation time.

Results.

Winners : Whitburn
    Runners-Up : Newtongrange
    Best Soloist : Eleanor Ferguson (Whitburn)
    Best Ensemble : Trombone Quartet (Newtongrange)
    Best Overture : Kirkintilloch

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    West Lothian Challenge
    Whitburn Runners-Up : Newtongrange Best Soloist
    Best Ensemble : Trombone Quartet
    Whitburn
  3. Dave1

Dave1 Member

Do you have info on what was played. Much appreciated :lol:

4. Neillyp

Neillyp New Member

Nittens program

Congrats to Whitburn and Eleanor. Also to Kirki fur the best Overture.

Nitten played:

Trumpet Blues & Cantabile
    Russian Sailors Dance
    Star Dust (Trom Solo Alex Philip (Ma brother))
    Force of Destiny
    Mid all the Traffic
    Liberty Fanfare
    Sunshine of your Love
    Ol' Man River
    Reunion and Finale from Gettysburg

It wiz guid. We were pretty knackered after a rehearsal and a galaday that afternoon. Also a rehearsal and a gala day the day before. All in all I think the band played for around 8 - 10 hours over the weekend. Ae Stevie.

I personally played a minim slightly to short in one piece and have composed my resignation letter. I have also booked my one way ticket to Brazil where I will undergo gender reassignment and change my birth name to Euphemia Garibaldi.

5. Dave1

Dave1 Member

Cheers Neillyp - looks a great if not demanding program. Well done anyway and perhaps cancel the trip to Brazil. I'm sure we can find some rusty scissors more locally for you ?? OUCH :shock:

6. ivorbiginstrument

ivorbiginstrument New Member

I must say Gettysburg was a thourgly enjoyable piece and it was played 1st class.
    Top marks to your sop player he was outstanding.
    Whitburn may have been the better band but your choice of programe was far more entertaining.

7. Flugelmahorn

Flugelmahorn Member

Some very kind words there which I'm sure the whole band will appreciate. Personally I thoroughly enjoyed putting in the hard graft to give a good show in both the semi final and the final. It was quite a challenge to come up with another 25 minutes or so of new music for the final in such a short time, but I think we managed it!

I'll pass on the praise to Graeme. He came off stage grinning from ear to ear having played a blinder.

8. cornetcheese

cornetcheese Member

Congratulations to all at Newtongrange! Despite the end result, the band has proven itself quite rightly to be one of the top few bands in Scotland. Unfortunately I couldn't make the contest as I was far too drunk on a composer's night out in Glasgow, but I heard the band was first class, no doubt enhanced by Mr Ramsay's enthusiasm and dedication! Stunning stuff!

Don't mean to burst your bubble Neil, but I think I have came across a few people called Euphemia Garibaldi before (not literally obviously)!

Alan

9. McChambo

McChambo Member

On behalf of the band, thanks very much for the messages of congratulations.

Whitburn's programme was:

Duel of the Fates (from Star Wars 'Phantom Menace')
    The Old Shepherdess (from 'A Hebridean Suite')
    Tarus Bulba Overture
    You Raise Me Up (Cornet solo)
    Scherzo
    Pantomime (Euph solo)
    The Bass Boys (Bass Quartet)
    Scarlet Ribbons (Euph, tromb, horn, flugel & piano feature)
    A Manchester Tale.

Arranged/composed A. Duncan (except Pantomime of course).

It was a good night spent with the Nitten folk - especially when Neillyp started singing in the back of my car!

However, I was slightly disappointed with the overall adjudication. I'm not complaining about the fact we won of course, but I found it difficult to accept and agree with some of the written and verbal remarks.

In which orchestra does/did he perform? Which band did he make his name with as a player/conductor? He is a composer of well-loved and accessible test pieces though. :wink:

For me, an adjudicators comments will only be valid if the person has been successful in a performance capacity. Controversial maybe, just my opinion though.

Alan Morrison gained so much more respect in the semi-finals.

Maybe I'm just getting miserable/cynical in my old age. :?

10. Moy

Moy Active Member

Never James old age...you are not nearly there. :wink:

11. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Who was adjudicating?

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    West Lothian Challenge
    Whitburn Runners-Up : Newtongrange Best Soloist
    Best Ensemble : Trombone Quartet
    Whitburn
  13. McChambo

McChambo Member

Philip Sparke. Well known and respected composer.

I have now calmed down. Folk were saying that I was becoming a moany old git. They almost called me Crookston :wink:

14. KennyC

KennyC Member

Jim,

You have a long way to go before you can claim to be as old and crabbit as me. Nice to see you have such a good role model though.

I thought Philip Sparke was an excellent choice of adjudicator. It's impossible to agree with everything that any of them say but much of what he had to say about our performance was right on the mark. Only thing I would seriously disagree with was his comment about us being too loud. How on earth are you supposed to play a piece about the war, with bombs and sirens going off all over the place, without being loud?

It's interesting to see the contrast from what Alan Morrison was looking for in the earlier round though. I can't help thinking that he (AM) might be surprised to hear the destination of some of the incidental prizes :wink:

Great contest though, and well done to Newtongrange for putting on two good shows within a fortnight. I think Scotland should make it a policy to put one of our better Championship Section bands in the 1st Section every year, so we can have a chance of winning the Nationals a bit more often. :D

Kenny

15. Tom

Tom Member

Are you offering to go first Kenny?

16. KennyC

KennyC Member

Tom,

An interesting idea and if we had played the way we did last year at this year's Scottish we might not have had much choice in the matter. However, I was thinking that the real potential for successful 1st Section banding lies slightly further West than Whitburn :wink:

Kenny

17. Tom

Tom Member

I thought you might Kenny but I don't think you'll find a lot of volunteers in the West either. Maybe we should draw up a rota

18. KennyC

KennyC Member

I agree Tom.

Alphabetical order works best for this type of thing.

Kenny

19. PC

PC New Member

Kenny why dont you share with us your veiws on the destination of the incidental prizes? :lol:

20. KennyC

KennyC Member

21. Les Wood

Les Wood Member

One man's "uncharacteristically subdued" is another man's "playing within the acoustic demands of the hall and not overblowing"?

Les Wood
    Kirkintilloch Band

22. KennyC

KennyC Member

Les,

Who said anything about loud dynamics? I think you'll find that the guy that wrote that report was concerned as much with the lack of dynamic contrast and the steadier tempo than that normally associated with that overture. Maybe he was just expecting it to be more in the style that Brighouse had played it the previous week in Cambridge.

KC

PS Healthy debate, at last!