Wessex Contest

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by ophicliede, Nov 27, 2010.

1. ophicliede

ophicliede Member

Anyone out there got the results of todays Wessex Association Contest?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Wessex Contest
    test pieces
    better bands
    trombonebassoprofondo
  3. ophicliede

ophicliede Member

Corsham 5th, Swindon Pegasus 11th, Swindon Brass 12th.

4. flugman

flugman New Member

Woodfalls 1st, Ocean Brass 9th

5. ophicliede

ophicliede Member

Come on guys don't be shy or are all of you still in the bar?

6. flugman

flugman New Member

Sandhurst 2nd, Otterbourne 3rd

7. ophicliede

ophicliede Member

1st Woodfalls
    2nd Sandhurst
    3rd Otterbourne
    4th ?
    5th Corsham
    6th ?
    7th ?
    8th ?
    9th Ocean Brass
    10th ?
    11th Swindon Pegasus
    12th Swindon Brass

8. flugman

flugman New Member

Think Bath Spa got 4th but wouldn't put money on it :)

9. fartycat

fartycat Member

Bath 4th
    Gillingham 6th (highest placed 2nd section band :) )
    New Forest 7th
    Wight Brass 8th
    Weymouth 10th

Kevin Derby (Woodfalls) won best cornet. Scott Stewart (Woodfalls) won best instrumentalist. Woodfalls won best perc section. Woodfalls won best bass section. Graham Lawrence (Woodfalls) won best euph. Gareth Pritchard won best conductor.

10. ophicliede

ophicliede Member

1st Woodfalls
    2nd Sandhurst
    3rd Otterbourne
    4th Bath Spa
    5th Corsham
    6th Gillingham
    7th New Forest
    8th Wight Brass
    9th Ocean Brass
    10th Weymouth
    11th Swindon Pegasus
    12th Swindon Brass

Looks like Woodfalls swept the floor with individual prizes.

Hey Paddy you are slipping. This was completely off your radar.

11. FullCrotchet

FullCrotchet New Member

Does anyone know the test pieces used?

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Wessex Contest
    test pieces
    better bands
    trombonebassoprofondo
  13. Paddy Flower

Paddy Flower Active Member

Yeah I would love to have offered odds and put it up for the league but despite asking around people in the know, nobody could give me a full line-up

If anyone knows the line-up of ANY contests coming up, please e-mail me and i'll get right on it.

14. fartycat

fartycat Member

1st Woodfalls Conducted by Gareth Pritchard played "and when the river told" by Simon Dobson 196 points
    2nd Sandhurst Ian McElligott Tallis Variations Sparke 192
    3rd Otterbourne Chris Davies Quintessence Redhead 190
    4th Bath Spa David Hayward Music for a Festival Sparke 188
    5th Corsham Martin Perry Dimensions Graham 187
    6th Gillingham Paul Williams Music from the Elizabethan Court arr Elgar Howarth 186
    7th New Forest Ian Luxford St Michael's Mount Ball 185
    8th Wight Brass Tim Carter Rhapsody in Brass Goffin 184
    9th Ocean Brass Jonathan Camps Rhapsody in Brass Goffin 183
    10th Weymouth Adam Glynn Northern Landscapes Graham 182
    11th Swindon Pegasus Mike Lock Year of the Dragon Sparke 179
    12th Swindon Brass Francis Cowley Shipbuilders Yorke 178

15. fartycat

fartycat Member

Correction: Best instrumentalist was won by Mark Pye (Sop Woodfalls)

16. ophicliede

ophicliede Member

Well done to Bath Spa and Corsham Bands, both 3rd section!!

17. Boo2LittleChef

Boo2LittleChef New Member

Having heard 6 bands prior to Swindon Pegasus (and others agreeing with me also sat in the auditorium), I believe their placing at 11th to be a complete travesty. Having spoken to the MD and seeing what Renton's comments were, I cannot believe that he was listening to the same band. He did not exercise any constructive arguments or comments, simply berating the band for non-existent intonation issues. I have been reliably informed that Pegasus have had guest conductors in of a very high standard - and have not advised the players of intonation problems. If anything they have been consistently commended upon their abilities and high playing standards. Unlike a lot of bands that have seen a lot of changes in personnel, Pegasus have maintained their lineup because players want to play, and this is reflected in the confident sound they are producing.

I am sure that Mike Lock, a high calibre musician himself, would not allow any group of musicians to take the stage with poor tuning, regardless of the event. I believe the Wessex Association should look carefully at the adjudicator's markings and comments and consider if Frank Renton should be invited to any future contests.

18. fartycat

fartycat Member

I didn't hear Swindon Pegasus but I was slightly suprised that a second section band would choose Year of the Dragon as their testpiece. I understand that an MD might want to stretch a band with a hard test piece but YotD is still being used as a very hard championship test.

19. BassoProfundo

BassoProfundo Member

Indeed it is and provides stern intonation tests for even the very best bands, as I am sure Mr Renton, a well respected musician and adjudicator, would have pointed out in a constructive way.

20. FullCrotchet

FullCrotchet New Member

I am sure this is a case of a band trying to play above their station and failing. Not as boo2littlechef points out that Frank Renton does not know what he is doing. Surely he is a higher calibre musician than their conductor...?

21. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Strong words, and strong opinions.... did you disagree with the rest of Mr Renton's remarks and results, or just the ones for Swindon Pegasus?
    Half the good top section bands at Blackpool struggled with intonation and the technical demands on that piece last year... good on them for having a go and challenging themselves, but is it really so surprising that they were beaten by higher graded bands and ones playing relatively easier pieces?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  22. Echo the comments from earlier well done to Corsham and Bath Spa.
    Why shouldn't any band have a good go at a any test piece? It's character building and good for band development if approached positively. Yes they were placed below other bands, but as i didn't hear the performance i hope the remarks reflected it.