Wessex band summer school!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by matt_BBb_bass, Mar 27, 2007.

1. matt_BBb_bass

matt_BBb_bass Member

Hey i just wondered if anyone new if wessex band summer school is any worth going to my mate went last year and said its really good and one else been?

2. LilMissFlugel

LilMissFlugel Member

yeah its really good i used to go every year but now the dates clash with ncbb:( its well worth going though!!
    Elly xx
  3. bignige

bignige Member

If you want fun and hard work it's a good cause with great tutors and conductors. Ask Alan Pope about it and see the website www.wbss.net

Shaun Crowther will be the bass tutor so you'll learn a lot.
  4. lausonbass

lausonbass Member

it's a good laugh, shaun crowther is a wicked bass tutor, this will be my first year not going :( but i'll be down for the weekend to watch the concert, there were only 5 basses last year so they need as much support as they can get
  5. Oooh I was a founder member in 1970 - enjoyed it then, but now I feel really old!
  6. bignige

bignige Member

If anyone is interested in the course then the applications are available from the website www.wbss.net There is a closing date of 31 May 2007.

Are there any other ex-members out there? It's now open to all ages so if you want to return now your chance.
  7. ... 37 years later - but I suppose I've still got lots to learn! At least I'm still playing;)
  8. hornguy1

hornguy1 Member

Hi all, the course is fantastic, good tutors, good playing and a fantastic evening of entertainment! Come along and have a good time!
  9. Laura_E_horn

Laura_E_horn New Member

I agree. I've
  10. Laura_E_horn

Laura_E_horn New Member

Wessex week is awesome! I recommend it to everyone. I've been going for the last few years and playing in the wind band. Its an excellent week with good social and music. Everyone go!!
  11. Kaskaey

Kaskaey Member

Ha. Laura is dosy, excuse my sister.
    ive played in the brass band for the last 3 years and i shall be there with bells on and dragging along players who think that it is on par to american pie band camp. i stress it is not... its better!! :) :)

Seriously, theres a terrific social aspect, note 'tent city' you honestly will spend time with some of the funniest weirdest people you will ever meet.

Playing wise, its not easy! There is always something to challenge you whatever standard you are. One of the nicest thing i've noticed about wessex is that each year you see how much youve progressed as a player since last wessex! There is a good array of repertoire so even if you hate one piece you are guaranteed to like the rest. You get plenty of help from tutors and leave feeling that you are a better musician. Sounds cheesy but its truuueee! :biggrin:
  12. beckymoss

beckymoss New Member

Its great to see so many good comments.... Ive been associated with Wessex course for 22 yrs, working through Junior band with Dennis Chalk and sitting 23rd trombone in band x and y (in the old days) working my way to principle and now a tutor and conductor in the training band and treasurer of the campsite committee.... phew.

its a great course for all ages and abilities... fun music, great social aspects, seeing the professionals camping and mixing with everyone is part of the magic of wessex.

There are great tutors..Dave Thornton (Euph), Shaun Crowther (Bass and debut in bassoon and electric guitar last yr which was fun! Mike Fowles (trom), Stan Lippeatt (Flug) Kirsty (cornet) just to mention a few...

come and join in the fun

see you all there

Becky Moss (nee Plant)
  13. tillie

tillie New Member

Not quite a founder member, but I joined in 1972. Had a really great time and met loads of new people. Is it still in August and where is it held now?

14. bignige

bignige Member

End of July at Oakmead School in Bournemouth. More info on website www.wessexband.com

Good time will be had by all.
  15. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Been there, done it. Really did my confidence as a player wonders.

As for just getting out of your normal band environment, and going for every last note (because you're all going home in a week so what does it matter if you split that top C... and you might just get it....) I'd highly reccomend it.

And you'll always know when Derek Broadbent is about to say something profound... because he takes his glasses off!
  16. Kaskaey

Kaskaey Member

oh! ive just made a link! matt say hi to the guy from cambourne band who plays solo cornet. i think he went to wessex last year, i sat next to him in the concert, and i cant remember his name! - sorry that sounds really bad!! well we said we would find him on myspace or tmp etc but he was like 'i dont have myspace'. lol. this makin sense?? Say hi from meeee!!!
  17. matt_BBb_bass

matt_BBb_bass Member

would it bee Chris he would be the only boy on solo i think would go up there lol and i will find out 2night and say hi lol