Were you at Butlins or Bolsover 2013?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Anno Draconis, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Specifically, did you hear Wingates Band at the Sunday entertainments contest at Butlins, or Derwent Brass at Bolsover a few weeks ago?

If you did, you will have heard both bands play "Episodes, Occurrences and Interludes" by Paul McGhee.

As part of the research for my Masters thesis I'm looking into examples of contemporary music performed by amateur musicians, and one facet of this is how audiences feel and react when presented with a piece of music that doesn't quite fit their expectations, so I'm really keen to hear from people who went for a listen. You can post here, send me a PM, or email andrew (at) rhinodiary (dot) com, replacing the words in brackets with the relevant punctuation - spam prevention :)

These are the sorts of things I'm looking for thoughts on:

What sort of music were you expecting when you arrived at the contest? How did the piece measure up to those expectations? Did you like the piece? How did you feel about the way it came across? Would you listen to it again, if you could? Was there anything about the way the bands presented the music that helped, or hindered, your enjoyment of it? Any other thoughts...

Your help would be hugely appreciated, and can be anonymous if you wish - rest assured I won't tell Paul either way ;)

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Wingates Band
    Masters
    andrew
    Butlins
    Bolsover
  3. Anno Draconis

I know I shouldn't, but..... bump :)

Doesn't have to be a big essay - just a quick feedback on what you thought from an audience perspective. I've already had some brilliant stuff via facebook and email, but the more the better. Many thanks in advance...

4. John_D

John_D Member

I was at both. Didn't really see any other bands at Bolsover though (had to get home not long after we played). Saw (and heard) Wingates at Butlins. Interesting piece, but, IMO, not really 'entertainment' material. Think it went down ok with the audience (mainly players themselves) but some of the 'non-players' with us didn't like it much.

5. Anno Draconis

Many thanks John :) - interesting that players liked it more than non-players. Any idea why? The automatic assumption is that the players appreciate the technical aspects of performing the piece even if they didn't like the sounds, whereas non-players have no real appreciation or interest in the technicalities; but is this actually true?

6. Anno Draconis

Many thanks to those who have replied, either here or via Facebook. I'd love to hear any more reactions anyone has, either positive or negative and just to reiterate that any feedback can be completely anonymous if you wish :)

Thanks
    Andrew

7. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

I saw the Butlins performance on video later, and thought it was a welcome departure from the entertainment contest norm. An extended piece of serious music with a minimum of embarrassing capering - as a movement we in the main really don't do presentational humour well at all. If everybody did the same, life could get dull at entertainment contests, but it was a thought-provoking variation on expectations.

As music, it was enjoyable without being earth-shatteringly striking. But it managed to avoid (IMO anyway) the opposing pitfalls of musical banality (a problem that blights much band music) and inaccessibility to the audience (the avoidance of which in a band context while still saying something original is near impossible), which is a singularly difficult balancing act to pull off. That's a pretty clumsy sentence - a simpler way to phrase it would be to say that it had something for everybody.

8. iffytboner

iffytboner Member

I wasn’t at either but saw this thread and found the pieceon sound cloud
    My opinion - It’s a test piece, pure and simple and does notbelong in an ents contest. Some bits were musical when taken on their own andmay appeal to non-musicians but generally, it sounded to me as though it was acollection of excerpts from existing pieces from a variation of genre that havebeen tweaked and twiddled enough to avoid copyright issues and (IMO) make them asmusically appealing as a boil on the bum. As a musician, I wouldn’t mind havinga pop at playing it or listening to it live but I certainly would not recommendit as easy listening for a Sunday park concert

Iain

9. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

I saw the Butlin's performance and thought it was a huge breath of fresh air and really enjoyed it. I thought at the time it was very adventurous for a entertainments programme - possibly pushing the boundaries a bit too much and verging on "contest suicide" I would have appreciated a bit more "Melodic" content - you aren't going to walk out of the hall whistling the tune !!. But to be honest, I think this "pushing the boundaries" is needed. I find it really depressing when we get out yellowed transcriptions of old ballet overtures out and you get banders in their 30's saying "oh played this before, this is great stuff - a real classic". If things don't change and we don't embrace different idea's then this movement is going to die on its 4R5E.

10. Anno Draconis

Great stuff, thank you guys :)