Were is the strangest place you've practiced?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by super_sop, Dec 8, 2004.

1. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

Just wondering.
    I needed to work on something we are doing for our Christmas concert, so as im alone in my office today thought id pick up my instrument on the way out the door this morning and take it to work to practice.

I know of one young lady who takes her horn on her hols with her and practices in the car.

were is your strangests place?
  2. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Any London main line railway station for the next few weeks:shock:

I know of a Euphonium player who works in a local hospital who has been known to practice in the morgue :rolleyes:
  3. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

Prior to a Brass Ensemble gig many years ago we had to warm up in the slops room beside a hotel kitchen. When I say slops room, there was a hole in the floor where all kitchen waste and waste food was dumped. The other side of this hole in area down stairs there was a big skip full of food waste. ugh..

Take it from me, there was no warm updeep breathing exercises before that gig!!

I'm sure there was a reason why they sent us there as opposed to any of the 400 other rooms in the hotel... I for sure can't figure it out!!!

Funnily enough, I think we played an Elgar Howarth fanfare (one from the Philip Jones Brass Series).. which the announcer said was "specially written for the occasion by the ensemble director"..... he claimed to know nothing about this announcement
  4. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Laundry room at university, while waiting for my clothes to dry.
  5. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

Not quite a practice, but we played in some strange places during a sponsered blow a few years back, firstly we managed to fit about 12 of us in someones livingroom - the basses got to the sofa first (typical!) - while they listened in the hall! Secondly we formed a snake down the hallway in a nursing home. Must be the most interesting places I have played with a fullish band! :p
  6. Pastit

Pastit Member

On a tour of Germany in 1978, Rhos Silver (now Wrexham Brass) played a hymn inside a cooling tower! (It wasn't working at the time)
  7. Soppy

Soppy Member

Before a contest a few years back, the band practiced in a disused multi-storey car park that was going to be knocked down about a week later. It was freezing too!
  8. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Many years ago we used to practice in Wigston's sewerage pumping station :shock:

...that was until the local water authority had to move us out due to a methane explosion at a similar station elsewhere...:shock: :shock:

"Methane explosion?" there must be a bass players' gag in there somewhere - where's Dave Payn when you need him?
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2004
  9. cornetblower

cornetblower Member

On a canal boat a few years ago as the holiday was only a couple of weeks before a contest.
  10. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Well last year our band qualified for the National Finals 1st Section,with the test piece been A Kensington Concerto: The first Baritone part was very awkward in places,although i practised at home every day, i took my instrument to work as well, but i am a Butcher in a Catering Unit.

So i used to get packed away quick and clean down a bit quicker as finishing time was 5pm and i was the only one who was there from 1pm-5pm.
    I would get cleaned down by 4.15 and then have 3/4 of a hour practise during works time:-D
    As our unit is on a site with a Carpenters i said DONT TELL THE GAFFER I am doing this or else it could result to a ????????? from him.
    But those extra 3/4 of a hour each day were well worth it as i was getting paid for practising as well:)

11. SuperHorn

SuperHorn Member

A Crematorium in Cardiff. We were booked for a Xmas concert (quartet) and had rehearsal at the venue in the afternoon. Whilst rehearsing a bloke was hammering bits of bone that was left.

At curtain call (sorry) we lined up in an orderly fashion next to the furnaces before going into the concert room.

It's True.
  12. backrowbloke

backrowbloke Member

On the side of a mountain, near Tal-y-Bont, North Wales.

Seemed like a good place and I had a great audience of 3 sheep who didn't seem to like me practising! :shock:
  13. six pints

six pints Active Member

on a poolside at work. the acoustics were great!
  14. Syrup

Syrup Member

In the car whilst driving on the M62! Was late on way to rehearsal and cornet had been in car boot all day and was like a block of ice, so decided to warm instrument up on way to rehearsal plus get my lips ready so that I could walk in a play ok straight away. Luckily it was dark at that time of night, so didn't get too many funny looks from other drivers.
  15. lottie4744

lottie4744 Member

Don't know if it counts as practising.... but I'm one of the annoying people that has the cornet out at 2-4am in the morning at pontins!
  16. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

Returning home from business meetings in Toronto about 3 years ago; it was a beautiful summer day and I got off the main highway (401 for those that will know it), took an unpaved road and found a deserted spot in a forested area. Loved every minute of it :)
  17. taylordoug1@aol.com

taylordoug1@aol.com New Member

I rehe***** my band for the Hardraw Scar Contest in the shadow of the Ribblehead Viaduct on The Settle-Carlisle Railway line in September 1989 in a howling gale and rain and WE WON THE CONTEST
  18. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

Top floor of the Bus goin doon Oxford rd...

Also played Thomas the Tank Engine with most of Boc Brass on a bus there at about 2:30 int mornin...
  19. twigglet

twigglet Member

Don't forget the boc brass rehearsal for whit fridays in Sainsbury's car park!
  20. fitzy

fitzy Active Member

I've practiced on a train station waiting for a train, on the train and also quite regularily in the botanical garden across the road from my university.