Wem Jubilee Band will tonight Join The BBC

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by super_sop, Dec 21, 2005.

1. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

[​IMG][SIZE=-2]The Old Market Hall, the Square[/SIZE][SIZE=+1]Carols in the Square[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Wednesday 21 December sees the return of Carols in the Square, one of Shropshire's favourite annual festive events. It will be broadcast live on BBC Radio Shropshire and promises to be bigger and better than ever before![/SIZE][​IMG]
    [SIZE=-1]Shrewsbury's Carols in the Square is one of Shropshire's most popular Christmas traditions, uniting the county with carols and Christmas spirit. This year's event takes place on Wednesday 21 December.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Last year's festivities brought a record-breaking crowd of around 6,000 people to the Square, all enjoying some festive fun. BBC Radio Shropshire's Eric Smith will once again be our host for the event.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]As well as musical entertainment from some of the county's top performers, there's also a chance to sing your heart out with some traditional carols.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Carols in the Square takes place on Wednesday 21 December. The event starts at 5.30pm and will be broadcast live on BBC Radio Shropshire from 6.00pm. Make sure you arrive at the Square in Shrewsbury early to get a place and a hymn sheet.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Due to the large crowds expected for Carols in the Square, park and ride buses will be diverted around the town centre 4.45-7.30pm. Bus stops on High Street, Shoplatch and Barker Street will all be closed between these hours.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]It may seem a little incongruous and not entirely festive, but this year's Carols in the Square is being sponsored by Shropshire Waste Partnership.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]But think about it for a moment... When do we generate more rubbish at home than any other? Across Britain, we will create more than three million tonnes of rubbish this Christmas, including wrapping paper, cards, trees, bottles and cans, but more than half of this could be recycled.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]After the carols, if you're not all partied out and still have a few presents to buy, you can catch the last night of late night shopping. Shops in the town centre will be open until 9.00pm.

Article courtesy [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]of BBC Midlands.

You will also be able to catch the broadcast live via the internet here from 6pm Onwards
  2. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

And there was me thinking this was another Pat Herak "use the abbreviation 'BBC' and make everyone think that the British Broadcasting Corporation was involved" kinda thing....

Listened on line. Must have been some soccer fans singing in Silent Night as they finished half a bar ahead of the band....

Found it on TV as well (949 on your Sky box), but there were no shots of the band :icon_mad:
  3. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Saw some of it on Midlands Today with Shefali:icon_cheesygrin: :woo is for Shefali
    our top tasty weather girl presenter we have in Birmingham
  4. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Yeah...I was worried for a minute that I missed a gig ;)
  5. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

hehe - that was because some 'arty' technical director at Radio Shropshire thought it would be a good idea to put the Choir in front of the Band. They were warned of the consequences and the fact that the Choir's conductor couldn't see my beat. Result - complete chaos! Although fair play to the band they did follow my beat and not the 6,500 people who decided to sing at a tempo more suited to Onward Christian Soldiers!!

6. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

If you missed us on wednesday night there is a chance that you can hear us again.
    on the bbc shropshire local tv.

Go to Watch Listen and youll hear us playing for a couple of minuets. you'll also get to see a great shot of our fabulous MD Mr Roger Thorne.
    after youve seen that, go down to the Ladygorve school Nativity play and youll see a glimpse of my loverly lil girl taking part. (shes the one waving her scarf near the end).
    Merry Christmas everyone.