Wellington Town Band on BBC SW

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by alanl58, Jul 16, 2009.

1. alanl58

alanl58 Member

Anyone else see Wellington Town Band being described on BBC1 SW Spotlight programme as "Too bad to play on the bandstand"?

I thought the whole piece was bad journalism, since it was the public who marked perfomers in Wellington Park last year, and the lowest marked did not get invited back this year!

So you could be a Championship Section band, and because the public did not appreciate your performance last year, be described as "to bad for the bandstand".

Good Luck Wellington Band I hope you find an alternative venue!

alanl58

2. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

I don't think the standard of the band has anything to do with it tbh. Look at it from the pov of the person holding the purse strings - if there isn't enough money to go round, or slots to everyone in, then ratings by the people who are paying to listen seems a very logical way of sorting it out.

Its a real shame for the band, obviously, and I hope they manage to find an alternative venue and make some money out ofi t. But, I don't get why anyone thinks brass bands have more right to be paid to play than any other community groups. Sorry.

3. alanl58

alanl58 Member

Who mentioned money?

4. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

Or indeed any LESS right.... Brass Bands play an important part in the Community and many get little or no outside financial support.

5. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

sorry, made an assumption - bandstand and prom concerts are usually paid gigs is all. Doesn't change the basic idea though.
    Absolutely agree, but so too do lots of social/voluntary/amateur organisations, and I don't believe that bands should automatically have any more or less right to perform than anyone else. In a situation where there are more (equally entitled) groups than available gigs, a popuarity/rating system seems just about the fairest way to choose.

6. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

I caught the end of the article on spot light- obvioulsy missing the actuall point of it entirely!

Just want to wish wellington all the best for the future, played for the band for 6 weeks while on teaching practice and throughly enjoyed it- very friendly bunch :)

7. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

As long as the bands realised they were involved in a popularity contest...

On a well balanced programme there should be a certain amount of music played that is "good for the band" as well as music which appeals to the lowest common denominator.

8. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Whilst I don't disagree, the amount to which a programme is 'balanced' will depend entirely on the job...with some requiring a performance requiring more regular visits to Mr Wensleydale's Cheese Emporium than others....