well fancy that !

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by omega56, Feb 21, 2008.

1. omega56

omega56 Member

When i first came down to rehearsals with my current band over six years ago, I chatted to a chap Called Don who is one of the trombone players.We immediatley hit it off and found that we both liked real ale and Jazz,although he is twenty years older than me we always chatted about this and that and how to solve the worlds problems.

Just before Christmas last year we were helping out with another band when we decided to stop at a Pub on the way home,whilst there we arranged to meet at another pub after a concert the following week.I Suggested a pub called The Wellington Inn which I used to pass while on visits to my Grandparents but never went in, Don said he had been in a few times as his auntie and uncle used to live in the same road so I said what were your Auntie and Uncle Called he said "John and Elsie Horne."....stunned silence from me as that was the same names as my Grandma and Grandad ! So it turns out that he is my Mums cousin who she had lost touch with for ages .I`d been chatting to Don for years without knowing we were related....
  2. Pops2501

Pops2501 Active Member

Spooky and Small World spring to mind!
  3. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

Wow, Thats Amazing
  4. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

What he said. ^
  5. millie6589

millie6589 Member

so that makes Don my, er, something.....haven't quite worked out the relationship yet, but Ian (omega5656) is my dad! anyone know what my connection to this would be?!
  6. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

his surname isn't Lusher is it?
  7. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

I stand to be corrected but I believe he is your first cousin once removed.
  8. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

What is the 'once removed' bit about?

When we have family gatherings ... weddings, funerals and the like, I generally find myself surrounded by people who I would called my cousins, 1st, 2nd, 3rd and even 4th!

On my dad's side.... I have three 'cousins' Jack, Alexander and Alice, who are my cousins children.... are they my first cousins something removed? or are they just 1st cousins?

On my mum's side (i'll only give one example.... as this side of my family is MASSIVE!) ... I have a little 'cousin' called Tilly ... who is I believe is my mum's cousin's, daughter's, daughter! (Is that right mother? :tongue: ) So what is she to me? my 4th cousin 62 times removed or something? Hmmmmm!!
  9. hicks

hicks Member

10. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

Hmmmm I've found a chart .... http://inman.surnameweb.org/forms/identifying_your_kin.htm

If i'm reading it properly.... Jack, Alexander and Alice are infact my first cousins, and Tilly is infact my second cousin once removed (not 4th cousin 62 times removed then!), and her mum is my second cousin!
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2008
  11. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

And who says the banding world isn't incestuous! ;)
  12. omega56

omega56 Member

No his name isnt Don Lusher, now that would have been quite something,discovering you were related to a Trombone legend !
  13. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Hmmm, not sure about the actual relationship there, but it's fast becoming obvious that only rabbits and bacteria breed as fast as your family! :rolleyes:
  14. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

PMSL :D :clap: , that's hilariously insulting...
  15. Liz Loftus

Liz Loftus Member

I'll have you know!!! :eek: (I'm meandmycornets mum) There are only so many in the family because my mum had 4 sisters and 2 brothers - my dad was an only child, thank goodness!The family all originated from Brighouse - so perhaps its the water in that neck of the woods thats to blame :biggrin: As you see we live in sunny Devon, but beware all of you northerner!!!!;)