Well... did we all have a safe Guy Fawkes night...??

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by TheMusicMan, Nov 6, 2004.

1. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Morning All

How did you firework display/evening go then...? We have the usual few boxes to set off with the kids - and the usual rogue firework to boot.

In all the years we have had our own firework display for the kids and some of their mates, there's always been that one, solitary firework, that seems to have a mind of its own that something happens to and off it goes!!

Last night, we buried some particular firework (forget what it was called) up to the mark indicated on its side.. but to bury it up to this depth was obviously not deep enough, and sure enough, it toppled over within a few seconds of starting... firing colourful shots of gunpowder right into the side of my then - rather perplexed - father-in-laws car... oops....:-?

Good job the shots went that way and not in the opposite direction eh! Just goes to show that despite all/any saftey measures you take to protect people close by your own firework display... things can always happen.
  2. Heather

Heather Member

Ooops! - we bought some fireworks for the first time in ages and invited some friends round.
    One of the fireworks (and it was a big one!) toppled over and so the sparks etc were flying out sideways right into our decking, which is where we were all standing!!! The kids were terrified and spent the rest of the evening inside the house!
    Think we'll go to an organised bonfire again in future!!
  3. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Didn't go to any displays... but a bunch of us people who live in Monton, Salford went to our local pub for a few drinks followed by going to Bargain Booze/Chinese and coming back over to mine for a chin wag for a while.... Unfortunatly I'm on antibiotics so couldnt join in with the megga drinking sess, but still hada good laugh watching everyone else getting totally bladdered! :lol: :)
    Some of the neighbours had firework displays on so we had all that around us.... the bangs seemed to get louder and closer though! :lol:

I heard that some kids back home (Devon) shot a firework at my brothers car a few days ago... :-? Dunno what satisfaction they get out of doing things like that... stoopid kids.
  4. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Let see...both arms...both legs...yeah, I guess I made it out safely. Sure sounded like some of those firecrackers were very close though!!
  5. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

we stayed home, and ate treacle toffee, and comforted our dog who was really really really really firghtened
  6. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

I was at work where we had to be content with setting rockets off out of the staffroom window.
  7. Sellers_Bird

Sellers_Bird Active Member

i was at work also, getting satisfaction of skiving in the yard watchin the town hall fireworks for half hour! aparently they were set off to the 1812 overture...
  8. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Spent most of it on the train but saw lots of nice fireworks out the window, and was quite surprised when I got home and there weren't any little scallies throwing fireworks about!
  9. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

We're going to a party tonight. Hopefully it'll be a good night.

Last year everyone bought really big Roman Candles and one didn't go off properly - it didn't send the rocket things high enough so they were coming back down and exploding on the ground. A couple of them got really close. Not good. The house we're going to tonight backs onto a private park (owned by the homeowners - very nice :D ) so I think we'll be letting the fireworks off in the park.

EDIT: Perhaps I ought to clarify that last sentance. The "park" is owned by the square of houses that back on to it and is not accessible from the street - you have to go though one of the houses to get in. So we'll be in this chap's garden and using the edge of the park to launch the bigger fireworks from.
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2004
  10. DeeTee

DeeTee New Member

We didn't have any fireworks but had our normal weekly band rehearsal.

We don't particularly rehearse in a nice area and there was lots of kids about so we made sure the doors were locked so we didn't get any sudden surprises thrown in.

We have a big concert tonight for the Cancer drop in centre. I think it is going to be a sell out so no fireworks tonight either.

We had a concert a few years ago now in the same venue on this very same date and had a fire work thrown in, fingers crossed this doesn't happen again.

What do youngsters get out of trying to hurt people?
  11. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

we have a fireworks party tonight as well wahoo :bounce
  12. Raspberry

Raspberry Member

We were flying in from Venice last night after a few days away and saw loads of fireworks going off - its funny how they look hundreds of miles into the air!
  13. Dawnys_flug

Dawnys_flug Member

I went to my friends bonfire get together last night. It turned into a competition between us and their neighbours as to who had the better fireworks! We of course won hands down! :-D I love bonfire night! An excuse to get all wrapped up and toasty! And sparklers!! Wooo don't you just love them!
  14. six pints

six pints Active Member

we got ridiciously drunk and then went and stood on the main road and watched someone elses fireworks with our big glasses of wine. we then went back home for simpsons night- ace!!
  15. impycornet

impycornet Member

Just been to a local display !! All going well until 2/3rds of the way through when one rocket went straight for a local's conservatory & the next one only got 3 feet off the ground !!

All good fun !
  16. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

been to a fire tonight, the blokes letting the fireworks off were (rather stupidly) throwing the spent fireworks in to the fire until one spat a few (obviously not detonated when lit earlier) crackly fizzy things straight back at them. Not surprisingly they stopped doing it after that.
    Thankfully no-one was any worse off for the stupidity shown.
  17. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Had a good night last night generally but...

Where you at the same fireworks party I was?? (unlikely I know). As someone did this too - they threw a "dud" roman candle onto the bonfire :shock: . Thankfully the resulting flares shot away from the majority of the crowd and no-one was hurt or too spooked by it.

It does beg the question though: What was he thinking??
  18. horny

horny Member

Went to a great display where we could watch from the clubhouse of our tennis club it was great and right next to the bar...even better!

Not wanting to sound a bore... but why are fireworks going off all night every night 10 days before the 5th and for days afterwords, is it getting worse each year or am I just becoming a boring old fart?
  19. HBB

HBB Active Member

Quite a lot of the reason is Diwali...