Welcome Packs

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by cornetchap, Oct 13, 2004.

?

Does your band issue a welcome pack to new members?

1. Yes

20.0%
  2. No

80.0%
  1. cornetchap

cornetchap Member

Do any bands out there issue welcome packs to new members and if so, what do they contain?

All the bands I've been a member of have just thrust a copy of the constitution into my hands and then demanded subs.

I'm looking at including a welcome letter (any samples gratefully received:)), a membership form, a standing order mandate:), a copy of the constitution and a copy of the child protection policy. Is there any thing else I should consider?

Cheers, Greg.

2. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

Hiya Greg, our band has been planning our welcome pack for a while and it's nearly ready - ours will contain a list of band members, also a list of committee members (and their photos) and contact numbers. We're also including the form that we get members to sign when they have one of our instruments.

Good luck with yours!

3. cornetchap

cornetchap Member

Thanks and thanks for your suggestions Kirsty; how could I forget the list of players?!

4. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

It might be nice to get a set of pencils made with the bands name on it and give them one (to mark music at rehearsals). Also, if the budget fits, a small bottle of valve oil.

5. backrowbloke

backrowbloke Member

Constitution???? I just got the demand for subs! :eek:

How about local taxi numbers, number for band's regular curry / chinese / pizza place
    Don't forget the songbook for the band coach?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2004
  6. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

My band issues a constitution, that's about it I think.

7. RonBarnes

RonBarnes Member

I think the most important welcome, before considering formal paperwork, is how the newcomer is introduced at his/her first rehearsal. Get this right.

I have played for bands where players come and go and nobody ever has any idea of who they were or where they went to. Sad but true! And I've played for bands where the newcomer is introduced, welcomed and invited to the pub for a drink afterwards. Guess which is the happier band and retains its membership longest?

Personal contact before paperwork.

8. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

When I joined Becontree back in June I was given a great welcome by the MD and players in my first rehearsal - in subsequent rehearsals and park jobs was always being asked how I was getting on and whether I was enjoying playing.Some weeks later was sent a pack through post with a copy of constitution and a lovely personal letter.Have subsequently seen other new recruits go through the same process.Great to be part of a friendly band , although the solo horn player is a bit of a strange bod. I blame his family !!!

9. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

I agree Ron but I think it is also an idea to give some sort of written information pack as well. Our band doesn't do it at the moment but the things I think would be a good idea to include are:

1. Contact list for personnel- definately at least committee/main organiser contacts- email and telephone!
    2. An explanation of how the organisational structure of the band works- if it is a committee who is on it, and what each person does
    2. Constitution
    3. A basic written summary as to what is expected of the member separately written. (even if it is in the constitution as most people won't read all of it ;))

• Who to notify if they can't attendance a rehearsal,
    • How much notice they are expected to give if they can't make a concert and how the depping system works at the band etc etc
    4. A list of upcoming engagements, contests and socials
    5. Standing order forms for subs/details of how subs are paid (if applicable)
    6. Any paperwork that needs to be completed for use of band instruments/uniform etc
    7. Details of the band website, how to get access to any member-only areas and how it is used for anything official eg directions for engagements
    8. Form for their information- address, email, mobile etc etc also an opportunity for them to list any contacts they have which could be added to an existing deps list for use my the band internally.
    9. Any posters that are currently in circulation about upcoming band events/band website/recruitment for the person to put up at any new places (eg their work place)

Finally think it would be nice to give out a something like a band car sticker/case sticker (good advertising too)

It does seem quite alot there and it is probably a fine line between overloading people with information which they won't take notice of, and not giving them enough! I reckon you could summarize it to a small-ish booklet with the forms attached as extra.

10. Hilary Mateer

Hilary Mateer Member

Funny this topic should have come up now.

Our band has just finished putting together a welcome pack for new players and they were issued to everyone tonight. (some players have been in the band over 30 years!)

I haven't read it yet but will let you know what's in it when I have. :)

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    members
    subs
    Packs
    bands
  12. RonBarnes

RonBarnes Member

Beacontree seem to have it just right (Baritone Elvis).

13. Rebel Tuba

Rebel Tuba Member

Welcome Packs are, in whole, a good idea. We issue a pack very similar to to the ones above:

Welcome page (from the Chairperson), list of members (telephone nums/email address), list of committee members, constitution, SO mandate for subs, new member details, instrument details, engagement list, Website address.

We issue this once the paperwork is done and the player is band member. Prior to this the person is welcomed to rehearsals and forced to the club for a bevvy, until they agree to sign!!:D