Welcome News!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by brassneck, Oct 15, 2004.

1. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

It seems that some common sense has prevailed regarding the adjudication process... at least for this year's Nationals! http://www.4barsrest.com/news/detail.asp?id=2644

Wouldn't it be great if the adjudication panel for next year's areas could get together and discuss each section's pieces, selecting the criteria they are going to use for separating bands in a standardised fashion?
  2. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Isn't it also typical for all the adjudicators to be at the composers talk at regent hall on Friday?
  3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Maybe so, but this private rehearsal is a positive move regarding fairer judging on the day, especially to bands that have an early draw. That they have publicly demonstrated, as a team, have heard a contemporary band working on a new piece would benefit their aural judgement for anything heard that is not too apparent on the score. The workshop is a fine way of trying things with the work and band to dispel any variances between them so they can sing from the same songsheet. I applaud that move.
  4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

[p.s., didn't want to mention the obvious at the time ...:rolleyes:... but Dr. Ball is one of the adjudicators.]
  5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

.... judging (sic) by the lack of complaints about the National results, the workshop seems to had a positive effect for all concerned. Should the adjudicators for the Areas be committed to a similar experience to narrow down differences in opinion? After all, it's your band's time, money and effort that's involved in such an important calander event!
  6. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Now then, what was I suggesting for lower section areas in my 4br soapbox rant? :) Something similar wouldn't go amiss.....
  7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I just feel that we should all not be just left to the chance of an individual's opinion, regardless how respected and creditable it may seem. It does not mean that he will agree 100% with his colleague adjudicating at the other area (or in the box at the same contest) on aspects of the test. Okay, there are problems associated with this... area contests held late may benefit from earlier timed events, but that may make the contesting arena more intense and intriguing.
  8. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I don't know that the Regent Hall talk would have guided the adjudicators' thinking to any great extent, as it concentrated much more on the composition process in general than on the make-up or interpretation of the test piece.
  9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Peter, this was before the Regent Hall talk. All three went to a rehearsal to get exposure to the work days before the first band blew a note on stage. Any new work that has layered structures may reveal more through a conductor's interpretation than what is score-read. See the link in my first post. ;)