Welcome new members.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by nook1938, Aug 9, 2011.

1. nook1938

nook1938 Supporting Member

Could we not have a Thread where new members are made welcome.
  2. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

What, you mean something like this one ;)
  3. nook1938

NO, that is for people to intruduce themselfs, there are many members who do not use that thread, I meant for the members who see that a new members joined and show they have been thanked for joining.
  4. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

I have moved this thread to a more suitable location.

I'm not sure how this, proposal would work. If yous tart a thread or post to welcome a new member, how will you make sure that this person actually sees this post?

As Geoff said, we already have the "Introduce yourself" forum. if you see a new member that you want to welcome, why don't you send him a Personal Message, and point him in the direction of the Introduction forum....?
  5. nook1938

It was just a thought, new members see the Forum Intruduce Yourself, why would they not see a Welcome New Members. It works on other sites I have been on, it's a thread I have never seen on here.

There is a welcome from the Tmp site when you log on, it was an idea other users would like to welcome new members.

6. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

It's a nice sentiment, but it doesn't seem sensible to me for a couple of reasons:

1) I've not checked the rate at which people have joined recently, but we've tended to see quite a rate at various times. Keeping up with that would be a busy job, and making each welcome personal rather than just defaulting to a quasi-automatic, "Hello X, welcome to tMP!" would be quite a wearing task.

2) A lot of people like to lurk unobtrusively, posting occasionally, and only when they feel they have something very important to say. They may be discouraged from registering at all if they felt that doing so would single them out, and then those posts wouldn't be made.

Reason 1 is a much more compelling point to my mind than Reason 2. A welcoming thread that quickly degenerated into a trite series of dittoes (like the old "Happy tMP day to" thread, for example) would be worse than no welcoming thread at all - it would make this place look like some kind of insincere meet-and-greet thing - you know, like those people who are employed by some American shops to stand at the doorway smiling insincerely at new customers, and shaking their hands as they come in, reciting the same set of stock welcoming phrases.