Welcome back...!!!

Discussion in 'tMP Site News & Suggestions' started by TheMusicMan, Jul 5, 2008.

1. LeDragon

LeDragon Active Member

There doesn't appear to be a link to 'Home' on tMP black text btw

2. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

I know, thanks.

I want tMP_2008 to be the main style for the site, and as such I am considering options for how I enable black text - but that I only have to apply all the edits and customisations made (which I have yet to complete) to the single style and not have to repeat the process for both styles.

Watch this space...!

3. jonesbp

jonesbp Member

HI,
    I don't think this has been mentioned yet.
    he IBEW forum doesn't seem to have the new template configured. Is this deliberate. On my PC it comes up with an orange background and very basic font. no avatars or header image on the page.

4. TheMusicMan

Correct, I need to sort this one. I had a designer code that for me, I must ask her if she can update the CSS etc for me. Thanks for the heads-up.

5. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

John - will we be getting the 'Go to Top' button in the 'Black Text' style, please?

6. TheMusicMan

Hi Matt

The current Black_Text style will be going shortly, and will be replaced by a black_text version of the current style - in which case all amendments that have been made to the new style will also apply to the new new style... :)

Hope that's clear...:):):confused:

7. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

:eek:

8. TheMusicMan

Huh Keith...? :confused:

9. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Honest answer - I find it 'offensively' bright ;)

I keep getting logged out as well....but that could be Microsoft's fault on this Vista travesty of a laptop.

Edit: But I've just seen the reply to Matt.....will the orange be gone in the 'new' black text version?

10. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Explicitly John, thanks.

I hope so too. I really do not like it.

11. TheMusicMan

'Fraid not folks, it's because I need to have just the one style so I can carry out the software updates and upgrades, and not rely on paying a coder to do this for me. When we had several styles, all the amendments I have spent the majority of the last few days applying to the new style - needed to be applied to each of the styles - which was an extraordinary amount of work, and took way too much of my time to complete - and to be honest, I can't continue to manage the site this way in the future. It's just not practical.

Very sorry about this, but for me, having a single style makes life so much easier; it is also cheaper too as I now don't need to pay a coder to carry out any upgrades. There are so many amendments to the code on tMP that simply 'upgrading' according to the vB procedure isn't possible.

Hope that explains why I am proceding with just the one style.

12. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

That makes absolute sense, John, and I don't think anybody would (or should) argue with you on that.

Just one clarification though if you wouldn't mind. You said:

Does this mean the ONLY style available will be the 'tmp_2008 Black Text'? Or will there be 'tmp_2008' AND 'tmp_2008 Black Text'?

I don't often get as confused as this? :confused:

13. TheMusicMan

Hey Matt

No probs... there will be two styles;

tMP_2008 and tMP_2008_text_black

... they will both look the same i.e. with colours and images and banners etc, but the text within threads will be black instead of blue...

14. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

John, in the original thread announcing these changes you mentioned that the meeting on Saturday would discuss, among other things, ways to move tMP forward. We can all see and appreciate how much work has gone into the techy side of that process :clap:, but I'm interested to know if there were any discussions about the more "touchy feely" aspects of the discussions that took place on this thread - stuff like moderating style, content of threads and posts, the family friendly policy, how to approach some of the more "contentious" discussions, what to do about what some people see as the increase in trolling, etc. ? And if there were, what conclusions did you reach, if any? :D

15. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

John are you going to change the way search results are listed when you click on "New Posts" to exclude totally random, thread games and sports etc (or whatever was excluded before) like on the previous version?

16. alangiff3

alangiff3 Member

Awesome

Brilliant improvement :D well done guys :clap:

17. TheMusicMan

Hi Andy - what we planned on getting accomplished on Saturday was mostly completed - but I have to say the upgrade was not without its complications and errors. We ran in to several failure notices, and were at one point totally stumped as to how we recover - panic mode was verging on starting!! Together with my mate Chris, Steve and Di we managed to get things recovered - though not fully, hence making significant effort over the previous few days to catch up and complete all we wanted to complete. I did have to contact the coder I have used previously (in Switzerland) to help, thank goodness he was at an airport - which is where he managed to sort out many of our issues. Believe it or not we're still not completed on the technical aspects even now, just now enough hours in the day to fully complete all tasks.

As for the more 'touch feely' aspects - we are still having discussions backstage regarding moderating style et al; and to be totally honest - although we have quite a comprehensive set of Rules and Giudelines - there is no way we can implement these on tMP in a hard and fast manner - to a certain extent, each circumstance warrants its own method and process. The rules and guielines are there in an attempt to maintain control and pragmatism, but where there are contentious issues we do have to look at these individually and deal with them accordingly.

Having said that, we acknowledged a little while back that there was room for improvement - I guess there always is, and we are constantly discussing how best to deal with issues. We will be releasing a sumamrised version of the rules and guidelines, and will be reiterating our stance regarding trolls, spam and infractions. One thing is for certain, that we will certainly be maintaining our family friendly forum policy - so there's no change re any items related to that!

It's a difficult one, but we will continue to do our best to manage the site in the most pragmatic manner. We can never please everyone all the time, but we will strive to please most people most of the time :)

Hey Bill - yes, I will be doing that, but can you elaborate on which page you feel this needs to be done on please, thanks.

Cheers - thanks for the feedback.

18. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Good work John and Team. Very nice, although I prefer the black text version. Must be my age.

19. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

Fully concur with that! A much better all round design. I think it's clearer as well.

One thing, though, I see that the National Areas are not inlcuded now, or am I seeing things?

20. Di

Di Active Member

You should still be able to see this area under the Adjudicators comments.

nats.jpg