Weirdest band Job

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Masterblaster jnr, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

Band jobs come in all shapes and sizes. They vary from The Royal Albert Hall, to playing in a Bandroom Library (In experience, that is not a good thing). has anyone played anything similar
  2. KillieBrass

KillieBrass New Member

nursery school christmas concert with a full school brass band. Where we all (guys at 6 feet and girls in short skirts) had to sit on chairs for 3 year olds
  3. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Kelsall Folk Festival (years ago), where they wanted a 30s/40s/WW2 themed concert so we were expecting a room full of pensioners. Was actually a room full of hippies and folkies ripped to the, er, nipples on cider and weed. The ganja fumes were something to behold. They loved it, standing ovation and 2 encores.

Also near Chester, a farmer had discovered that a previously unexplained "hole" in one of his fields was actually the remains of a small Roman Amphitheatre and had a kind of garden fete to celebrate it, with the band playing in the amphitheatre. Trouble was, all that really remained was a hole in the ground, and a muddy one at that, with no steps or paths down to it. So we had to slither down with all the gear and then try and get back out afterwards, having played in a damp, cold, hole in the ground for 2 hours while everyone else had a much better time at ground level, pausing occasionally to wonder where the music was coming from. ;)
  4. hellyfrost

hellyfrost Member

On the back of a truck trailer in the middle of a running track/playing field. In the dark. Every time the percussionists had to play, the whole thing wobbled :eek: then we all got bitten by midges.
  5. floppymute

floppymute Member

Many years ago in the 1970's being booked by the local council in Kirkby, Liverpool to play for the opening of a new local community centre. The only trouble was it was 8am on a Sunday and they wanted us to march around the local council estate to wake every one up and get them down to the opening. Do you think we received any abuse??? In addition we had to march down narrow alleyways between the flats to the accompaniment of crunching broken glass underfoot and the occasional shout of "MANHOLE!2 from the basses in the front row. The manhole covers had all been nicked for scrap and we were in danger of losing our bass drummer!
  6. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

I've done an Open Day in Styal Prison!! :-? Where there were prisinors sat on Army Tanks! Also got the very prestigious opportunity to play for the opening of a texaco garage in Marple!
  7. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Similar thing happened at Killamarsh two years ago - we played at the opening day of a new country park, which had a sort of running track set in a big whole in the ground off to one side of the park. When we arrived there were lots of stalls, attractions etc by the entrance and when asked were we would be play - yep in the hole in the ground.

Appartently the sound was heard all over the park but very few people actually saw us as we were below ground level.

Cromer Carnival - playing on a flat back which took us around the town. Unfortunately the parade was so long the front was catching up with the back so it was decided to re-direct part of the parade up a side road, turn round and then return to the parade at a later position. The driver got a bit carried away once he hit the open road and we must have been hitting 30mph before he realised we were nearly falling off the back (t@@@)
  8. bigcol

bigcol Member

At an indian wedding, marching through the corridors of Gateshead Civic Centre.
  9. T Winch

T Winch Member

Not a full band job but was once asked as part of a quintet to play at the opening of a Nature Walk at a local hospital. Unfortunately it was a freezing cold day in April. After the opening ceremony everyone else wandered off. Then it started to snow. The five of us were left sat on our own in the middle of a wood in a blizzard not daring to stop playing in case we didn't get paid.
  10. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Many years ago i helped a band out at the annual BBQ/Fete etc for the village;
    We were playing surrounded by bails of straw
    Anyway it was a lovely sunny night middle of June not a cloud in the sky this was at 7ck BBQ crowd getting burgers,sausages etc.
    All of a sudden the bloke who was cooking the food blurted out
    "I wish the Food was not frozen as its taking to long to cook"
    And put on a bit of oil on to the BBQ to make it cook quicker
    With that a big flame from the BBQ came out and set fire to the straw by the side of it this was the band:eek:
    Youve never seen Bb Bass players run so fast:biggrin:
  11. Simon_Horn

Simon_Horn Member

A distant memory from my past: a looooooooooong walking day (3 or so miles) somewhere up north in which there was no audience clapping and cheering at the side of the road because we were in the middle of some fields - only sheep and cows to appreciate the delights of death or glory etc. When we got back into the village that was the end of the march :)
  12. bigE

bigE New Member

played at the opening of the public toilets in Holmfirth many years ago..... sad thing, there were about 150 people there!!!!.....
  13. needmorevodka

needmorevodka Member

I played at a Caravan Club event once. We were in a big field sitting on deck chairs and all sorts of folding furniture kindly lent by the members from their caravans. Unfortunately, the weather was cold and windy and really horrible, so the 'audience' sensibly retreated to the comfort of their nice warm caravans and watched the telly. We just carried on playing right in the middle of all these caravans, it was bizarre :D
  14. slider

slider Member

While teaching English in Lubin, Poland I joined the Miner's Orchestra (a WInd Band Sponsored by the Copper Mine)
    I had wonderful Eastern European Uniform with red feather plumage on top of a pillar box hat. The best job were Funerals, quite regular, a great set of March Cards with deadly dirges. March the Coffin into the Grave Yard and afterwards drink massive quantities of neat chilled Vodka with best sausage.
  15. andyh

andyh Supporting Member

In the helicopter hangar of HMS Grafton during a VIP cocktail party to mark
    her final official visit to her adopted town of Ipswich. In January... and listening
    to her captain run off a few very slick scales on one of our tenor horns !

Actually a very enjoyable engagement, and one I'll remember for a long time.

16. on_castors

on_castors Member

Not an actual job, but a rehearsal for one that turned into a public performance saw the band (who shall remain nameless) in the middle of a Blood Donor session in a large open hall.... lots of bemused people lying all over the place bleeding into bags, with more arriving by the minute with the band going on as if it was setting up on a park bandstand! It turns out the "organiser"(bit of an overuse of the word!) knew this would be the case, and thought nothing of it. If nothing else, it meant access for parking and getting the gear in was non-existent. The donors seemed horrified, but it seems I was the only Bandsman who was!

I pinched myself, found it was real and not a nightmare; so, seeing I had just driven 200 miles specifically to get there, I went home to put MY feet up instead.

Many jobs for this band were interesting by virtue of their unusual or absent organisational approach, but rarely as surreal as this one!
  17. bbg

bbg Member

Didn't play in this one myself as wasn't on the particular tour, although my son did - Perthshire played a concert in Holland a few years back on an island in the middle of a lake. The band were rowed out (separate trip for the percussion etc) whilst the audience were on the lakeside.
  18. rcalvert20

rcalvert20 Member

In Alton Towers Splash Landings swimming pool (yes in the pool) The logistics was...... interesting!!
  19. on_castors

on_castors Member

Oh that's everyday stuff ;)

Peasholme Park, Scarborough... done it a few times, mind you, that's years ago for me!
  20. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

I once did peasholm park when it, no seriously it did, rain, snow, hail, gusts blew and thunder& lightning.

No sun!