Weird euph

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Euph-Bari, May 13, 2004.

1. Euph-Bari

Euph-Bari Active Member

2. stripybananas

stripybananas Member

I think a device similar to a zimmer frame might solve the problem! jus add a few more wheels and make it a touch taller and you should be ok!
  3. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

American marching bands use brass instruments similar to this -- all with forward facing bells.
  4. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

yeah, it's pretty standard!
  5. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

I presume good arm strength and endurance helps ... so I'm out of the picture ... :p
  6. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

That's what I played in Marhcing Band in High School one year (USA). I also think my wife played one for the "Rite of Spring" (Bass Trumpet, No?).
    You hold it like a trumpet/cornet.

7. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

8. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Help me out. What does that mean?

9. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

sorry, it was for dave euph, it is used to point out an innuendo!
  10. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Ahh always wondered about that, personally I prefer Fnaar Fnaar! ala Viz, oops no thats a Double Entendre...... good grief its going to be one of those days!
  11. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I remember seeing a link for a marching trombone before... it was basically a big flugel... I can't really see the point since you can march with a trombone anyway, and it has a forward facing bell!
  12. Nuke

Nuke Active Member

A marching trombone for people who dont have trombones at the front. Probablly so the slide doesnt wack people on the back of the knee (which i have done once).
  13. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

Surely the band would just look like a load of stupid sized cornets?
  14. stripybananas

stripybananas Member

Maybe we're finding out the true brass band instruments.....Maybe thats what we are supposed to look like :?

Lets hope not.....
  15. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

They also usually cut the thickness of the metal right down to reduce the weight, particularly with the shoulder-mounted basses, so it is very difficult to produce any depth of sound.
  16. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

thats not a euphonium!!! :D
  17. TuTuKu

TuTuKu Active Member

What'd be really cute is a cornet sized euph... with the bell facing upwards! can you get those? i suspect not!

TuTuKu xx
  18. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I believe Sax's original set went up to a Bb pitch, if not an Eb (ie soprano), and that all the bells were upward pointing, but I may be wrong.
  19. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

No, the Bass Trumpet has a more cylindrical and usually much narrower bore.
  20. Lothianh

Lothianh Member

If you think that's wierd, check out the marching tubas (and contra-bass bugles in G) on Kanstul's website, They're carried on the shoulder, bell facing forward. Generally used by drum corps, although I'm sure there are a few marching bands around who use them as well. See DCI's website for a look at similar instruments in action -

In my high school marching band (the last time I was involved with anything related to playing while moving around a football field) we used standard euphs, but french horn players marched with forward-facing mellophones. Those of us on tuba played sousaphones...