Wedgwood Cornets - Any good ?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Farmer Giles, Sep 22, 2004.

1. Farmer Giles

Farmer Giles Member

hi all

just been having a look at the site after it was mentioned in the pub after rehearsal on monday night.

what are they like ?
    anyone got one ?

2. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

They used to do good cups and soup bowls
  3. Pity that this thread faded..........

Although I have never seen or blown a Wedge Cornet........ I have certainly heard VERY good reports on them. I have been told that they have all the quality (build wise and playing wise) of Smith Watkins.

I too would be interested to hear any reports (good or bad).......... I may be in the market to buy one... :)
  4. Emb_Enh

Emb_Enh Member

Yes they're good - no I'm not on commission-yes jimmy watson plays
    one [amongst others] is a write up from a student of mine>>>

I'm going to have another blow on the Weg cornet on Friday - I'm taking the solo cornet player from our band, so we'll see how it compares with his sound (he plays one of the older Sovereigns)......

Mellow / bright - thinking back, it was certainly very versatile; able to get a range of sounds depending how I played it and what I played. It didn't have the woolly start to the notes that so many cornets seem to have.

My own opinion is: very fine build quality/good intonation/good slotting..
  5. Incognito

Incognito Member

Sorry to drag this one up from the past, but I received a rather distressing letter today from Denis Wedgwood which he has asked me to pass on to anyone with an interest.

6. Hornblower RN

Hornblower RN Member

I can confirm that....I was with him yesterday picking up my flugel.....excellent cornets but sadly no more. Extremely clever guy
  7. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Will they still be making crockery though?
  8. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

You fancy a blue and white baritone then ?

Damn, Just missed out on that joke. Humph!;)
  10. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

A blue baritone sounds great, although anyone who knows me can vouch, if it's made of crockery, it won't last very long in my butterfingers. I have enough trouble with brass instruments never mind china!