Wedge mouthpiece - anyone tried one?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by hicks, Jan 16, 2011.

1. hicks

hicks Member

Anyone tried one of these?
    What did you think of it?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Wedge
    Wedge mouthpiece
    URL
  3. cornetdom

cornetdom Member

yes i have tried a wedge mouthpiece brilliant! It does take a while to get used to but i found it makes lip slurs harder

4. hicks

hicks Member

How did you think it was better than a standard mouthpiece? Was it more comfortable? Did it make a difference to the sound quality? Also, where did you buy it from?
    Thanks

5. cornetdom

cornetdom Member

I thought it was better than a standard mouthpiece however i got a stainless steel wedge cornet mouthpiece because i am allergic to silver and brass so i might be giving a biased opinion.However once i got the mouthpiece it took a while to get used to the shape of it and once i had got used to it i improved alot.I bought it direct from harrison wedge directly!.However it also depends on what diamter eg.rim size and depth of cup!i got a flugel mouthpiece with cornet shank it made a beautiful and excellent dynamic contol!You need to speak to harrison wedge!He is brilliant and emails back he trys and works out the best possible mouthpiece for you.I have changed mouthpiece to a dennis wick 4 stainless steel because i found with the odd rim shape it was hard to do lip slurs

6. monody

monody Member

Where did you get the stainless steel Wick?

7. cornetdom

cornetdom Member

I have contacted a company in america! I sent a dennis wick no.4 mouthpiece across there they have copied it but in stainless steel

8. cornetdom

cornetdom Member

The only place to get stainless steel mouthpieces from are america! I spoke to roger webster last week and he is thinking of bringing out stainless steel mouthpieces this year!

9. cornetdom

cornetdom Member

Hicks i also found that it did sound slightly trumpety but that also depends on what size and depth of mouthpiece you go for

10. cornetdom

cornetdom Member

It doesnt really sound trumpety its only when you get really really loud
    i have pm'd you about something

11. DrDave

DrDave New Member

Hi Dominic,

Thanks for your positive comments. It is interesting that you found the Wedge made slurring more difficult. How were you playing it? Did you have the sloping shoulders of the mouthpiece top and bottom and the high points of the rim at the sides?

Cheers,
    Dave Harrison (Dr Dave)
    www.wedgemouthpiece.com

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Wedge
    Wedge mouthpiece
    URL
  13. bariwizard

bariwizard Member

Do you do snake-oil & patent medicines as well?

14. cornetdom

cornetdom Member

hello Dr.Dave
    I followed the instructions sent with it

15. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

No I think Snake Oil is done by a bloke called Will Spencer :rolleyes:

16. DrDave

DrDave New Member

Hi Dominic,

OK, I just thought I would check. It is unusual to have a decrease in flexibility, and the most common cause is playing it sideways.

Regarding the patent medicine question, the only patent I hold is the one issued by the US patent office for the Wedge rim. All of our claims were approved in December 2010. I do dispense medicine though as an MD specializing in Emergency Medicine and Hyperbaric (diving) Medicine. The snake oil I cannot help you with.

Cheers,
    Dave

17. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

Just out of interest. How much is a cornet mouthpiece?

18. DrDave

DrDave New Member

Hi Donna,

Some forums frown on manufacturers quoting prices on forums. It is seen as trying to sell on the forum, and being new here I do not want to abuse my priveledges :) Please have a look at the website where you can find out details.

www.wedgemouthpiece.com

Cheers,
    Dave

19. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Do you have a UK distributor who has "try-out" stock?

I gather from your website you operate a flexible (and generous) returns policy, which allows for some experimentation, however with import duty and taxes to consider, it's not really a viable option here in the UK ...

20. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

Eek! Pricey......

21. DrDave

DrDave New Member

The VAT is annoying. Our return rate is about 10%, so it usually is not an issue, but there is some risk. We have similar issues in Canada.

Cheers,
    Dave

22. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

As someone who has tried these (Hi Dave) - they are well worth trying out. Personally I wasn't as comfortable on a Wedge as on my regular Warburton, but it was certainly an interesting experience.
    I know a lot of people who have tried these and now swear by them.

Dave - are you going to be at ITG this year? If so, see you there :)
    I may even do another playtest - on cornet this year, for the tmp crowd