Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by ploughboy, Oct 21, 2007.

1. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Hi Guys,

Emley have been booked to play a coulpe of weddings next year and I'm meeting up with the Brides and Grooms to discuss music. I've played/heard all the standard stuff for Processional/recessional. Just to give me a wider pool of idea's, and to see what everyone else would like. . .

What would you have at your wedding?

I think i'd like

Queen of Sheeba - IN,
    5th Mov. Royal Fireworks - OUT

maybe Deep inside the Sacred Temple and I'll Walk with God while I sign the register!
  2. Bobbi's girl

Bobbi's girl Member

Trumpet Voluntary was played by members of our band at a recent wedding for the processional& Ave Maria was played during the signing of the register.
  3. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

We had one of the Susato Dances (arr Elgar Howarth) for in, La Rejouissance from the Fireworks music for out and Tom Wyss's arrangement of Gounod's Sanctus for signing the register, plus all the hymns. We considered but reluctantly rejected the end of Vaughan Williams Henry V ("The Earl of Oxforde's March") as well.

Quality :D
  4. andyp

andyp Active Member

We had the "Grand March" from "Aida" in and "The Standard of St George" out.

The Aida one was what my wife's school used for their May Queen ceremony every year(her bridesmaids all went to the same school) and we didn't tell them what was coming, big surprise!
    Standard of St George is first march Croston "Coffee Day" every year, plus it's a belter. Banders' wedding!

Find out what's personal to the happy couple, they will either have something in mind already or won't be interested and go for "He Comes The Bride" because it's the only wedding piece they know. If you mention that the alternative words for that are"Here Comes the bride, 40 inches wide" that should kill that idea!

Seriously though, it's their day, so it's their choice, but you should be able to tactfully steer them away from some of the more unsuitable choices. If they say they'll leave it up to you the choice is only limited by what you can think of.

Couple of previous threads on this.
  5. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

What about Fest Musik der Stadt Wien by Richard Strauss. There is a band arrangement by Eric Banks. Works well at weddings, in fact used it yesterday.
  6. catherine_S

catherine_S Member

Believe it or not, we played "Match of the Day" at a wedding this summer! The band were slightly dubious (especially as the bride didn't actually know that the music was going to be provided by a brass band) but we handed out percussion to all the kids present and it went down a storm immediately after the signing of the registers!
  7. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

We had Queen of Sheba and Vidor's Toccata to go out to. Although I have to admit I got a stonking organist to come in to play them. I had a couple of lads from the band to do "My Love Is Like A Red, Red rose" as a duet. We really wanted the band to play at the wedding, but at the time we simply couldn't afford the cost of them all at the reception - and there was no way we were going to expect them to play if we didn't feed them afterwards! A shame, and I have to say if I was doing it again I'd find the extra cash to have them playing.

Anyway - back on topic - how about Serenade? It was written as a procession originally and would be a fantastically quirky choice.
  8. madsaz

madsaz Member

I quite fancy trumpet tune & air down (first ever solo I played) & Heroic March from Epic Symphony on the way back - in fact it would be a plan if I had a wedding to plan.

There is so much great music out there - have heard La Reine de Saba used to good effect, as well as all the traditional trumpet pieces.
  9. I know someone who had the Queen of Sheeba in, but it was played on the organ and it had to be played REALLY slowly so that she could walk to it!
  10. iaindrum

iaindrum Member

Alright Gaz, I had La Rejouissance from the Fireworks for our lass to walk into, then londonerry air and pavanne when we where signing the book and all that and then we walked out to Diamonds are a girls best friend which went down really well.
  11. hellyfrost

hellyfrost Member

I got married last year and had:

Arrival of the Queen of Sheba for coming down the spiral staircase

Bridal Chorus for walking down the Aisle

Air From the Suite in D/Air on a G String and Pachelbel's Canon in D both for signing the register

And Stevie Wonder Signed Sealed Delivered for going out!
  12. hvb_shizzle

hvb_shizzle Member

I would personally have
    I'll Walk with God
    Gabriels Oboe
    For The Love of A Princess
    Calan Lan
    Light As Air
  13. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

BBSBB did a surprise performance of "All You Need Is Love" at a wedding earlier this year - organised by the bride and the groom didn't know about it. A small group went in to the wedding venue whilst the register was being signed and we played them out. Also did an hours performance of show music to guests before meal.

KSB have also been booked for a similar surprise next month and we've been asked to provide show and marriage themed music - so far our programme includes

Love And Marriage
    Andrew Lloyd Webber selections from his shows Cats, Sunset Boulevard, Aspect of Love etc - looked at some music from Phantom - but it was a bit dark and too sad.
  14. Morghoven

Morghoven Member

Why? No bride I've seen has ever actually marched in time to the music. Given that Arrival of the Queen of Sheba goes on and on for ages,unless you're getting married in one of the larger cathedrals the chances are the organist will probably have to cut it short anyway.

A little-known piece but an absolute belter for coming out is 'Marche Triomphale - Nun Danket Alle Gott' by Siegfried Karg-Elert. It's an organ piece, but I believe there are band and brass ensemble arrangements of it.

It is good to have a wide range of repertoire to suggest to couples, but just bear in mind that there is a reason why Wagner in and Mendelssohn out have become traditional - they work!! As several posters have already said, unless it's totally inappropriate it is their day so give them what they want. He who pays the piper and all of that...
  15. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

tMP comes up trumps again - Thanks very much guys some good points and pieces here!
  16. Jasonp

Jasonp Member

The Prince of Denmarks March is the most requested ingoing that I get when playing at weddings. For an outgoing I always play Charpentier's 'Te Deum' on piccolo trumpet.
  17. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

Oh really?! And when were you going to tell me this then?!
    Sorry to burst your bubble hun but i don't like Queen of Sheeba!

I would have either Trumpet Voluntary by Jeremiah Clarke
    Hornpipe (Water Music) by Handel IN

I'll let you have Deep inside the sacred temple and i'll walk with god cos i like those! I'd have to have something relating to a Euphonium solo!

And i'm more tempted by Wedding March (A Midsummer Night's Dream) by Mendelssohn to go out to- :)

Have to say tho i feel i should get pastime with good company in there somewhere being that it will be in a Castle built by Henry VIII! :)
  18. HorniKaz

HorniKaz Supporting Member

How about "Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life" by Eric Idle?
  19. andyh

andyh Supporting Member

One happy couple asked us for the RAF March Past for her to walk up the aisle to, and The Dambusters to walk out to! I can't remember what else we played but those two will always stick in my mind ;)

I think her Dad was retired RAF, and it was a surprise for him.

20. $hytalk

$hytalk Member

My wife walked in to the Earl of Oxfords march from Henry v. We signed the register with Lord of the rings and My love is like a red,red rose and walked out to Endearing young charms.