Wedding Music

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by hvb_shizzle, Mar 22, 2007.

1. hvb_shizzle

hvb_shizzle Member

A member of our band in getting married later this year and the band are playing at the curch service. We have some ideas of what to play but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.:p
  2. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

Maybe ask the couple what their preferences would be! That would be a start.
  3. hvb_shizzle

hvb_shizzle Member

It might be a suprise but we have already spoken to couple and the groom came to the band for suggestion as they were unsure. The groom and the band have some ideas including Magh Seola, One Voice and Irish Blessing but anymore would be a great help.
  4. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

What type of music do they like? Classical? Popular?
    At a recent wedding I played at we included Schubert's Ave Maria, Mozart's Laudate Dominum, Charpentier's Te Deum and part of Handel's Water Music which were all very well received.
  5. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Procession to Covenant by William Himes
  6. sunny_jimbob

sunny_jimbob Member

We had an 11 piece band play number 4 (Aurelia), number 7 (Blaenwern), number 82(?) (St Clement) and Jerusalem. Which was nice.
  7. bigcol

bigcol Member

We've just done a wedding, and did Brideshead Revisited as the walk-on tune. Was very effective.
  8. pemjo

pemjo New Member

When I got married I had Fanfare and Flourishes to walk into. It was christmas so I had loads of christmas music while guests were arriving. Signing the register I had Sheperds Song and a cornet solo One Starlit Night. Coming out of church I had Fest de Musik de Stadt (or whatever its called).
  9. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Festmusik der Stadt Wien?
  10. jackocorn

jackocorn Member

11. beccawheeze2

beccawheeze2 Member

At my wedding this year, we had a sextet playing Pachelbel's Canon to come in to and Derek B's Serenade to come out. It was magical!.
    Just like to publicly thank our fellow Ear Biters from Cubbington Silver Band for their playing in the service and in the concert we gave in the evening.
    A wonderful time was had by all.

ROBTHEDOG Member

We were lucky to have Simon Lenton, Angela Whelan (Fine Arts Brass) and a few friends playing - We had Toccata from Orfeo (Monteverdi Arr Stephen Roberts) as a stunning opening for 10 piece brass, antiphonal piccolo trumpets setting the scene brilliantly. If you can afford or get such a Pic' players and decent quintet as a minimum - as a slow interlude the Easter Hymn from Cavalleria Rusticana, again Simon Hogg (Fine Arts Brass) has done a great arrangment..

Depending on the tone of the event you can always do Get me to the Church on Time... or even The Stripper to exit...

Seriously worth buying Simon Lenton's CD "Music for A Perfect Day', with organist Kevin Bowyer was described as, "stunning virtuosity" by BBC Music Magazine. - there's loads of suitable music on that ... Good luck..
  13. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

Hows about this one? we played it at a wedding last year.

cracking arrangement aswell!!!

Infact, if you have a look all through Mr Thorne's site you may find a few other sugestions.
  14. i think andrew duncans arragement of reunion and finale from gettsburg would sound brilliant at a wedding
  15. englishgill

englishgill Member

we played at a band members wedding and I can remember playing Share my Yoke, Pavane but not the others! Sorry not much help :oops:
  16. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

There's a band arrangement of Widor's Toccata which is pretty good, albeit hard. We had bits from Music for the Royal Fireworks, some Susato (Howarth's arrangement) and Tom Wyss's arrangement of Gounod's Sanctus, which terrified the vicar.:tup
  17. BarbaraD

BarbaraD New Member

My husband commisioned Philip Sparke to compose a piece of music for our wedding last year! Its called Prelude on an Irish Folk Tune and is based on the hymn tune Slane (Be thou my vision). If you went to Butlins this year GUS played it in their entertainments programme and Newstead Brass played it for their Listen to the Band recording in October. Its a great piece, especially for weddings, but I am maybe a little biased! De Haske publish it.
  18. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

"Trumpet Tune" thats in the red Salvation Army March and Hymn book, (no 47 or 60 cant mind!).
  19. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

Played at a friend's wedding with a 10 piece last year and he arranged the first part of Mahler 8 to walk out to!

I've done lots of Trumpet Voluntaries/Tunes etc, Vivaldi double Trumpet concerto is quite nice as well.